Anyone used a V6 Magnum in an A-body?

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
I was thinking of picking up an early A-body, something like a 66 Valiant to use
as a daily driver.
Was also podering the idea of dropping on a V6-Magnum and 4speed auto out of a later model rwd dodge, probably a dakota doner. Seems like it would a good engine/tranny combo for that size car. I'd also want to retain the fuel injection

Anyone have any experience with a swap like this ?

the V-6 swap has been done
that big trans is going to require a LOT of floor cutting to fit

Those engines are neither powerful or fuel efficient. If I was going that far, I'd just go with the 318 magnum.

If you really wanted fuel efficient, I'd put a Neon SRT-4 2.4 turbo in with a 5-speed manual.

Those engines are neither powerful or fuel efficient. If I was going that far, I'd just go with the 318 magnum.

If you really wanted fuel efficient, I'd put a Neon SRT-4 2.4 turbo in with a 5-speed manual.

there was a guy making adapters to bolt the 2.4 Srt engine to a 904 not long ago

the v6 in the 3.9 aren't easy on gas at all

cool idea, but sounds like almost as much work as a hemi swap, with much less tire burning benefit. on the plus side, these drive trains are cheap, and had less sophisticated electronics.

My 5.2 magnum gets 1 mile less per gallon than the 3.9 magnum. The v6 uses a 3 speed trans not an od like the 5.2

Here's one. Help me here guys. I can't remember the gent's name for sure but I think it's dart64gt. He's from Cali. and the wagon was stolen and wrecked. tmm

Attachments

• dart64gt2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 697
  • dart64gt1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 691
Hmmm, well I'm not set on doing this conversion, just thinking outside the box a little. I don't know that much about the mag-V6's
I figured they'd be better on gas. Was just thinking it would be nice for a daily driver to have something more modern with fuel inj, and an overdrive trans.

Guess i'll have to think this through a little more. And don't worry, I have neither the 66-valiant or the v6 yet so my options are open.

In 1992 I bought a new Dakota with a Magnum V6 and best I got was 14 mpg. I later bought a 1998 Dakota with a 318 Magnum V8 5 speed and with a few mods got 22 mpg.

My 93 3.9 Dakota CC got about 18 average in mixed driving.

My mom has an 03 3.8 quad Dak and gets the same.

No "balls" from either one, but mom's previous 92 CC 3.9 was decent.

x2 on extensive o/d floor board mods.

I'd go 2.2/2.5 5 speed as well, if I was gonna do that kind of thing.

Less work, better result, more fun.

Hmmm, well I'm not set on doing this conversion, just thinking outside the box a little. I don't know that much about the mag-V6's
I figured they'd be better on gas. Was just thinking it would be nice for a daily driver to have something more modern with fuel inj, and an overdrive trans.

Guess i'll have to think this through a little more. And don't worry, I have neither the 66-valiant or the v6 yet so my options are open.

How bout a 3.1 or 3.4 with a 700r from early-mid 90s camaro or firebird? Good power and 25-27mpg highway... Ok, I'm running for the hills now!! :eek:ops:

Do it I got 23 mpg with my 2 dakotas . I even thought of this do the math ... (dont have it right off my head ) the dart aint much heavyer then the dakota of tho other way around . I say do it and make a thread to wire that sucker up lol . I know some one other then you that would do this . both 3.9s i had when sold still running had 240,000 and then some . So would i do it you bet . just dont have the funds .

Honestly I think its pretty much a useless swap. 3.9s have the power of a 4cyl with the economy of a v8...LolYou may as well just fuel inject a slant six and put an a833od behind it if you want mileage.

I think the hot swap would be the 3.6 Pentastar and the 8-speed...not sure how doable that is though. 300hp and likely high 20's highway fuel economy.

I have to say this thought has crossed my mind as well. I have an 01 dakota extended cab short bed with a 3.9 magnum, 5 speed, 4 wheel drive, running 3.55 gears and 32" tires. I average 18 mpg doing mostly town and windy rural 2 lane driving, no highway. It is not a high rpm screamer, however it makes very good low end torque and mid range power. Its very close in power to the dog years of the 318 (72-75) using 2 less cylinders.

Our 93 Dakota reg cab short bed 4 wheel drive 3.9 gets around 21 hwy and 17-18 around town. Bet 2 wheel drive would get better

-
Back