Anyone with Hooker Heads, what do you run for plugs and how do you run your wires?

-

WSUTARD

Reaction score
Backstory, I picked up a set of MSD Super Conductor wires as well as a R&M Wire Guide. At the time my 340 was removed from the vehicle and my headers were off. I didn't even think about clearance. Needless to say, these wont work with the #5 #7 plugs and the setup of Hooker Comp headers. The plug ends are too long and the R&M Guide runs right next to the #3 tube.

So, if you have Hooker Comp headers that pass the #3 pipe over #5 and #7 plugs can you please let me know your wire setup and how you are routing those? Pics would be great.

The previous owner had 45* plug ends and ran super long wires. Out to the fender, back the the firewall and over to the distributor. On both sides. I hated that and really dont want to go back.
IMG_1499.JPG

Backstory, I picked up a set of MSD Super Conductor wires as well as a R&M Wire Guide. At the time my 340 was removed from the vehicle and my headers were off. I didn't even think about clearance. Needless to say, these wont work with the #5 #7 plugs and the setup of Hooker Comp headers. The plug ends are too long and the R&M Guide runs right next to the #3 tube.

So, if you have Hooker Comp headers that pass the #3 pipe over #5 and #7 plugs can you please let me know your wire setup and how you are routing those? Pics would be great.

The previous owner had 45* plug ends and ran super long wires. Out to the fender, back the the firewall and over to the distributor. On both sides. I hated that and really dont want to go back.
View attachment 1715036110
I had a set that was similar on my E body Cuda, I ended up removing the plug ends of the wires, changing them to 45 degrees and running them under neath toward the rear of the engine

I had a set that was similar on my E body Cuda, I ended up removing the plug ends of the wires, changing them to 45 degrees and running them under neath toward the rear of the engine
Yes what Moparman said, plus I used the heat proof boot shield on 5&7.

001.jpg

Sorry, no picture, but I use 90 degree boot for 5 and 7. I contacted ACCELL and told them what I needed, and they sent them to me for free.

I might have figured out how to use my stuff. I flipped the wire guide over and swapped sides so now it's above the tubes. Then, I can use my MSD wires and just cut the straights off the #5 and #7 and then crimp on 90s. Straights for everything else will work fine.

I'm just wondering if cutting the wires for 5 and 7 will make them too short.

Also, I would think and inch would be enormous gah clearance.
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1508.JPG
IMG_1510.JPG

Do you have power steering? If so, that's the header you are stuck with. If you have manual steering you could have used the Hooker 5204 header and not had that issue.

Google this - spark plug heat shield - there are many styles to choose from and they are damn near required - plus, I think they look cool

I had no clue those were a thing, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

What is the rule of thumb when it comes to using these when it comes to how close the wire is to the header? 1" 2"?

Anyone have heat shields on MSD super conductor wires? The boots for super conductors are larger than normal and, according to reviews online, cause issues with sliding the shields on.

-
Back