Are 14 inch rims obsolete?

-

e50095

Reaction score
Need some rim advice. My brother and I have 67 and 68 barracuda convertibles. We've both been collecting parts for almost 20 years, and are itching to drive. We're getting close to roadworthy, but have to be super thrifty, his daughter at Penn State and my wife in grad school (feel our pain?). It seems most cars today have huge rims, and now I'm wondering if ours will look impotent with what I have. For car #1, which is mine, I have small bolt rallyes, 14 x 5.5, and have yet to get tires. I have a complete small disk brake setup with new calipers (4 piston), and a fresh slant 6 and 7 1/4 2.76 sure grip (came stock with that rear, go figure). I remember reading 215-70-14's is as big as I can go with 5.5 wide rims.

For car #2, my brother has 15x7 rallyes, new 215-70-15 BFG's, the 11 3/4 big bolt disk swap, 11" drums on 8 3/4 3.55 sure grip, and a really nice 340.

I appreciate any advice...this site has been a godsend for me in terms of what to do and what not to do.

thanks...

Ken in Pa.

they don't sell too many tire sizes in 14" anymore. you can fit a 235 or 245/60-14 on those rally wheels.

I have 14" Cragars on my Dart and had no trouble finding tires. I had several choices, decided to go with white letter Uniroyal Tiger Paws. They look period correct, not too small.

14 are just fine. Nothing roung with running them. But it is getting hard to find wide rubber for them. Cooper makes one I think it is called a cobra mabby? I have been running a 235 on my 14X5.5 rallys with no trouble at all. But if you can move up to a 15 tire selection will be much better.

Keep the 14" wheels especially since you already have sbp brakes, and get some meaty tires. Your car will not look wimpy. The large rims may fall out of favor in a few years and look very dated.

These are 205-70 14's. I have since remounted the tires so the raised white letters don't show, just my personal preference.

008.jpg

try finding 13" now thats difficult...ditto to what goldfish said....

aloha mike

The small wheels look good on cars with smaller wheel wells, which a lot of the older muscle cars had. The newer cars are being built with massive wheel wells - my car came with 255/40/20's on the rear from the factory! Even 17's look small in that big of a hole.

needed 2 14" tires to put on a car before I moved it last year. i stopped at disocunt and asked them if they had any junk 14" tires, i got laughed at.

Need some rim advice. My brother and I have 67 and 68 barracuda convertibles. We've both been collecting parts for almost 20 years, and are itching to drive. We're getting close to roadworthy, but have to be super thrifty, his daughter at Penn State and my wife in grad school (feel our pain?). It seems most cars today have huge rims, and now I'm wondering if ours will look impotent with what I have. For car #1, which is mine, I have small bolt rallyes, 14 x 5.5, and have yet to get tires. I have a complete small disk brake setup with new calipers (4 piston), and a fresh slant 6 and 7 1/4 2.76 sure grip (came stock with that rear, go figure). I remember reading 215-70-14's is as big as I can go with 5.5 wide rims.

For car #2, my brother has 15x7 rallyes, new 215-70-15 BFG's, the 11 3/4 big bolt disk swap, 11" drums on 8 3/4 3.55 sure grip, and a really nice 340.

215/70-14 is a good tire for your car.

I run 225/70-14s back, 205/70-14s in the front on original 14" steelies on my Duster. I hate it though, FAT sidewalls do terrible in cornering and look too "low-performance." I don't like the trendy big chrome wheels on old cars either but 17" wheels with 40-50 aspect ratio tires make a huge difference in cornering ability over 14" wheels. But with your /6, 2.76:1 open rear that probably won't be an issue for you.

Oh and Radial T/As? They're nice if you live in a warm climate, but as soon as they touch snow or ice, ZERO TRACTION. More like "Deathtrap T/A", but nobody really drives their muscle cars in snowstorms anyway LOL.

P.S. What part of PA are you in? I only ask because you referenced PSU and I grew up in State College.

BFG has many sizes available. I went to quite a few places and no one could get them- then I went to Adirondack Tire and they got them same day.
245/60/R14 and 215/70/R14 (yes, the rear rims are wider than 5.5, but I'm not sure of the width).

2.jpg

My tires are all 225 60R 14's on Crager 14x6 front and 14x7 rear. The only thing I will change is the rear tire to a 245 60R 14. A little more meat in the rear.

here is the before and after. Same tire on the 5.5 inch stock rim in the before pic.

Good Luck,
John B.

P1010364.jpg

P1010182.jpg

You ned to find your happy spot. I don't like an extreme look in either direction, small or large. My truck has 18's but 35" rubber. My dart I upgraded to a 15" wheel. Smaller wheels look a little more vintage in my opinion. You need to find what YOU like!

i like taller tires i got tired of the smaller 14" on the demon with larger openings

71 Demon 340 (27).jpg

AFTER: with 205/75/14 front and 275/60/15's nitto drag radials rear would have went for 15 fronts but got these taller 14" tires for nothing so i used them

securedownload (640x480).jpg

-
Back