Are ARP head bolts really needed for a mild build?

-
Im just wondering if my original question was about rod bolts? Because i clearly remember asking about head bolts.... the connecting rods that im using have 7/16th's arp cap bolts.

Well your question may have been just about head bolts but your thread got hi-jack and went on to all bolts, lol

Like it was said, chances are it be OK to re-used them but if one feels mussy getting torque down, discard and use a different bolt.

Well your question may have been just about head bolts but your thread got hi-jack and went on to all bolts, lol

Like it was said, chances are it be OK to re-used them but if one feels mussy getting torque down, discard and use a different bolt.

yep, common sense. gonna do that on both the main bolts and head bolts.

Early 340s often blew head gaskets ,,once the comppresion reaches 10.5 or more...(small block chevy) has 17 7/16th bolts,340 10 1/2" bolts,,Before (arp) (pioneer) and others were around,,You could go to farm & fleet,,,a.k.a. T.S.C. buy grade 8 bolts...(maybe cheaper) than A.R.P. Make sure to use 1/2" hard flat washers T.S.C. has them also...A buddy of mine busted a T/A head when the head bolt hex dug into the head..Torque to 90-95lbs. I`ve used flat washers ever since..I think it`s good insurence..can`t hurt,,If you use honing plate use your new head bolts..get that pre-strech...

Washers can't hurt so long as the threads are long enough. If you washers--like arp does, then the bolt should be a bit longer. One extra thread, turn of the bolt can make a difference

Washers can't hurt so long as the threads are long enough. If you washers--like arp does, then the bolt should be a bit longer. One extra thread, turn of the bolt can make a difference
I agree....T.S.C. has a good selection of leangths,,,you may even have to cut some threads off,,,better that (what she said) then to short!!!

-
Back