Are these valve covers factory?

-

j_anderson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was looking around on barn finds and came across this demon. supposedly a 72 340 car. the spark plug wire holders caught my eye and I wondered if these are factory correct for 72 or if someone has maybe welded those wire holders on.

1972-Dodge-Dart-Demon-3.jpg

Ive looked at a lot of photos and haven't seen any other valve covers on a 72 with the wire holders where they are.

Last edited:
They are factory covers, are they correct for a 72 340?
They look like my 67s, I thought the wire retainers changed in 69?

Alan

Also the later valve covers had a different breather cap and separate oil cap.

Alan

Also the later valve covers had a different breather cap and separate oil cap.

Alan
I see this style on 273 valve covers now that I search those. so maybe someone put some earlier covers on this one. something doesn't look right with the throttle return spring bracket either. looks like my 318 bracket

Of course those spark plug wire holders are factory! At one point or another, pretty well every inanimate object comes out of a factory.

Though they are factory valve covers, not sure what year. Here is a picture of my '72 318, drivers side, passenger is the same.

20220930_204857.jpg

something doesn't look right with the throttle return spring bracket either.
Yes the original photo (post #1) linkage uses a spring from the kickdown slot to the bracket at front. I think that it functions (using that term loosely) as a kickdown return and throttle return. This means that the function of the slot in the kickdown is completely negated (keeps the kickdown linkage from holding the throttle open -YIKES). I hope the OP will share the spring arrangement in post#10 with that car's owner...

Car is in storage till end of April, so can't get a better picture right now. Believe it is a where the engine was built and passed inspections or something. Someone else here can remember the decal place where I got it, E C something? It was $25. or so.
Okay, the sticker says:

This engine has passed a special electronic quality test at Chrysler Corporation Mound Road Engine Plant

Last edited:
-
Back