Are they worth it?

-

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a set of heads (#2843675) I could use them on a 273 I have. (I will need a valve job with in a year. I think the seals are going)

They are 1.78 Int. and 1.50 Exh.

They have been sitting in a plastic bags for almost 10 years. They were machined and new valves, springs etc. They look good.

Plus, there is a mopar cam and hyd, lifters. They appear used. One lifter has a little rust on the side (two small pits). I have no idea the duration of the cam, but it looks good. The box is too faded to read the numbers. Are there any numbers on the cam I can read to decode it?

As it stands. Are they worth Two bills?

Whatcha think? Anything I need to look for?

Mahalo for any input.:cheers:

Mike

Id say $100 tops if you use the cam (if its really a mopar cam) just get new lifters they are cheap

$200 for rebuilt heads and a usable cam sounds like a good deal, but if you are going to a set of later heads, I would go with a set of the swirlport heads.
Do you have an intake to work with newer heads? If you have a 65 or earlier, the intakes are different.

Mahalo guys!!!

The 273 is a 66. It currently has an Offy intake and a eddy 4 barrel. I do have the original intake and carb though.
It appears he is asking 200 but told my dad he would go to $150...I haven't even talked $$$ to him. The seller is a neighbor...so it fine if I pay a little more...neighbor relations and all!

Any other tid bits of advise?

The head casting you gave was used from 68-74. If these heads are from 73 and later model year cars, they should have hardened exhaust valve seats. This is preferred for operation with unleaded fuels. FWIW the chambers are rated at 60 cc.

IMO it's best to start with a new cam and lifters. That way, everything establishes wear patterns for your particular engine. In a pinch it's okay to use new lifters with an old cam. It's imporant when using an old cam and old lifters that things be re-assembled exactly the way it was disassembled. Unless the lifters are labelled as to which valve they previously operated, it's best to scrap them. Any pitting on the foot of a lifter is cause for it to be scrapped. In no way would I recommend mixing new and used lifters. Any pitting on a cam lobe or bearing is cause for junking the cam, too.

$100.00 tops if that,they're just 318 head's and the valve size if stock should be 1.75/1.50...

I didn't check that casting number out, but I'd do a bit of research on the combustion chamber volume of those heads. The correct heads for a 273 have a chamber volume of around 55cc, I believe. I'd probably scout around for some 302 castings or the original 273 heads. I actually have a set of each:tonqe:.....but they each need a whole going-thru. My whole point is: who wants a drop in compression just because these heads are an easy score? And the cam?......depends on how much of a budget you're on. I've never installed a used cam, but realistically......it'd probably be fine, especially if you're car is an occasional "cruiser".

good comments. Mahalo!

As it is, I really don't need them. The car is original so putting the "new" heads in would defeat the originality. I'll probably tell him no thanks.

But its cool you guys are helping me figure it out. Especially, the cc part...I never even thought of that...

Mahalo!

-
Back