Arizona emissions testing

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
When I registered my 71 Duster with a 318, I put it down as a collectable. This way I did not have to go and get it tested.

I have since rebuilt the engine. If I took the Duster down to have it tested, do you think it would pass the emissions inspection?

Isn't it just a gas cap check for '71? I think there is some variation by state/year, but wasn't much to check on early (pre 75) cars.

In Arizona, you need to emissions test your vehicle if it is registered in Maricopa and Pima county. They check for a bunch of different readings. The gas cap is not one of them for a 71 vehicle.
There was no unleaded gas back then

From what I can tell it looks like they would run it on the dyno:

[ame]http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/download/dyna.pdf[/ame]

Besides the dyno test they do a visual check. The engine has to have all of the emissions equipment that was factory installed for the year of manufacture.

Swapped engines have to be same year or newer, and have the emissions equipment for the year of the engine that has been installed.

So your saying there is no year limit? So every car in those two counties, that ever came with some form of smog equipment has to have it in place and operational?

So your saying there is no year limit? So every car in those two counties, that ever came with some form of smog equipment has to have it in place and operational?

Every car from 1966 until present. If you buy a new car you get 5 emissions free years.

If you purchase collector car insurance vehicles which are 20 years and older become emissions exempt.

Every car from 1966 until present. If you buy a new car you get 5 emissions free years.

If you purchase collector car insurance vehicles which are 20 years and older become emissions exempt.

You only become emissions exempt IF you insure the car as a collectible or antique.
I had to go to DMV 4 times before I had everything in order.

I just reread your post..... I guess you said this...

God, and I thought CA was bad...At least my 73 is exempt just based on the year (no collector car insurance required). Good luck!

Yeah, AZ has become absolutely awful with emissions crap.

Living in the middle of the desert, they are trying to control the amount of particulates in our air by banning offload vehicles from driving on unpaved roads on "high pollution days".

Ya know... I just don't think ATVs, motorcycles, and diesel emissions have much to do with this:

haboob-in-Pheonx.png

I've said this before.........you guys need to write your state govt and raise some hell. "Just how many" classic cars do you think adds all that much to the smog problem? And 66 cars not sold in CA were never intended to pass ANY emissions tests except PCV!!!!

When I had my 71, they just have to be ran on the sniffer. They never actually looked for the emissions stuff. They just check the gas cap to see if it seals (they look at the rubber seal), and then run it on the dyno and measure emissions at cruise (35 mph) and then idle. If the engine is a fresh rebuild, then the emissions should be good. They test for Hydrocarbons (HC less than 380 PPM) and Carbon Monoxide (CO percentage less than 5%). A well constructed rebuild should blow clean, as long as the carb is adjusted right.

My 71 duster had a 408 stroker and blew clean every year.

Its a dyno test just lean out the carb and keep the timing at factory specs and you should pass. After the test just set it back where you want it. This is how I did it with my 74 F250 390.

good lord y'all gotta put up with some crap. here in TN i just told them it was a 1974, payed the wheel tax and got the same tags every other car gets.

Why pull the collector car insurance off and subject yourself to any testing?

Unless you want to put a lot of miles on the car.

I bought my Ford Taurus in Jan 2008, I have now put on 2200 miles on it.
That amount will now be shared by both cars. I won't put that many miles on it anyways

Swapped engines have to be same year or newer, and have the emissions equipment for the year of the engine that has been installed.

Unless things have changed since we left in 08 this is not true....

Arizona follows federal law. Whether or not your emissions facility checks is another story.

If you are running a vehicle with OBD II they don't even open the hood. All they do is plug in to the computer and look for any faults.

If you are running non-OBD they do a visual inspection. That's where engine swaps can get caught.

If you put OBD II in an older vehicle, that will bring on closer inspection since they realize that say a 1970 Dart was not an OBD II vehicle. Of course putting an OBD II engine into an older vehicle would be allowed, but it has to have a MIL light which lights when the ignition is turned on, and turns off when the engine is started. MIL lights cannot be lit during testing.

[ame]http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/engswitch_0.pdf[/ame]

Would be nice if the EPA would get off there lazy arses and approve the new law that was signed by the Gov 2 years ago. I can't understand why they would take so long as it is the same thing CA has. But then again it took about 4 years to get the MC one approved.

Arizona was the last state in the nation to dump motorcycle emissions testing. Thank goodness! Nothing like waiting in line at an emissions facility for a half hour when it's 110 degrees out and you're standing on 150 degree asphalt.

This!!!!^^^… A ex California smog tech,early nineties... You guys, adopted the basic California laws. Still being in California, I would love to have that loophole. Being said,I got some healthy stuff to pass. Takes time.And time is major money,to a commissioned smog tech. In California, everyone is your friend as a smog tech.

-
Back