Arizona Swinger

-
Well......heading into the fourth week since the car was dropped off at the strippers! Seems it made it into the booth towards the end of last week, so there might be hope of seeing clean, pristine metal some time this week. Will upload some pictures when I get it back.
Also dropped the short block and cylinder heads off at the machine shop for machine work--should hear from them this week as to what will need to be done.
Still collecting parts. Hoping to be on the road by October, but not sure if it is going to be October of this year!! The joy is in the hunt! Ben.

Best of luck with your project. There must be something wrong with us Arizonans that we buy Darts from the East Coast;) I drove to NJ to pickup this one:

1970_dodge_dart.jpg

Mine didn't look as good as yours when I got to it. It needed all four floor pans, and new quarters.

While I was still stripping down that Dart I found an Arizona car which someone started work on. It was already media blasted and only needed one floor pan, so I bought it for $500 and put the first car in my backyard...

DSC_0977.jpg

Here's what it looks like now:

DSC_2635.jpg

Website for the buildup: http://www.rhphoto.com/dart.html

Don't like any of those colors, but if I had to pick one it would be the yellow.

Best of luck with your project. There must be something wrong with us Arizonans that we buy Darts from the East Coast;) I drove to NJ to pickup this one:

1970_dodge_dart.jpg

Mine didn't look as good as yours when I got to it. It needed all four floor pans, and new quarters.

While I was still stripping down that Dart I found an Arizona car which someone started work on. It was already media blasted and only needed one floor pan, so I bought it for $500 and put the first car in my backyard...

DSC_0977.jpg

Here's what it looks like now:

DSC_2635.jpg

Website for the buildup: http://www.rhphoto.com/dart.html

I know what you mean about picking up cars from back east! This is my third car from there. The first two were convertibles; one from Iowa and one from Florida--so you can imagine what the floors looked like with leaky convertible tops!! Ben.

Yellow. Always go with your first choice. Detonator yellow looks great on the new Jeeps so I am sure it will look even better on old iron. Good luck. 8)

I'm thinking this would be cool in a FAST type build. Look stock but haul ***!!

I'd go F8!! :cheers:

But I really really like FM3 on '70 Dart's!!

Finally!! After more than three weeks at the stripper, and three days trying to pin down my tow truck guy, the Dart is back home. To all of you who like to do your own stripping with a drill and wire wheel, or paint stripper, kudos to you! While I appreciate all the effort you have to put out to strip a car, my limited time and age (60), have kept me from doing it myself this time. Besides the stripper owed me a few favors! Here are some pics of a bare Dart. Ben.

dp's project 001.jpg

dp's project 002.jpg

dp's project 005.jpg

dp's project 007.jpg

dp's project 008.jpg

And a few more--seems I can only upload a few at a time. Now it's onward with the metal and body work! Ben.

dp's project 010.jpg

dp's project 012.jpg

dp's project 017.jpg

dp's project 021.jpg

dp's project 023.jpg

Would love to report of great progress, but having to depend on other peoples' schedule, or lack thereof, sometimes work progresses so s-l-o-w-l-y. Managed to clean all of the parts and get a good coat of primer on them to keep them from rusting any further. Starting to attack the worst of the rust at this point. Still waiting on the machine shop to decide how much will need to be done to the engine! Having trouble uploading pictures from my cell phone, will add later.Ben.

Am thinking about replacing my stock scooped hood with one from AAR fiberglass. Have spent quite a bit of time looking at the original hood after it came back from the media blaster, and with the amount of work not only on the outer surface of the hood, but also on the underneath inner structure, I think a replacement is in order. Now my question is whether to replace it with a stock appearing fiberglass hood, then add the original factory holes and scoops; or since I'm putting a six pak set up on the 340 engine, maybe going with the fiberglass hood with the six pak scoop. Any suggestions?!?Ben.

Just a warning on the AAR Six Pack scoop. Their scoop, at least the one that came on my Dart's hood is small. Most Six Pack scoops I've seen are larger. They are taller, and with a larger opening in the front. Maybe they have more than one size:dontknow:

Other than that my AAR hood fit great and I have no complaints.

Just a warning on the AAR Six Pack scoop. Their scoop, at least the one that came on my Dart's hood is small. Most Six Pack scoops I've seen are larger. They are taller, and with a larger opening in the front. Maybe they have more than one size:dontknow:

Other than that my AAR hood fit great and I have no complaints.

ab7fh, the one on your red dart is what has me thinking of going with that hood; as long as it clears the six pak air cleaner, scoop size shouldn't matter. Ben.

ab7fh -
Your '70 Dart is sweet! Love the red/black combo. Is that a factory Mopar red?

bmaudlin-
My vote is yellow! I think A-bodies look best in bright colors unless you're doing a full stock resto. The only problem with yellow is it really does draw bugs at car shows/cruises. Just something to keep in mind - sometimes you'll need both a duster and a flyswatter! LOL.

hey ben i see your thinking about replacing your hood if so what are your plans with it i need the mounting areas where the hinges go mine are rusted out and i pop riveted sections of a 73 hood there so if you decide to throw that old hood out helpa brother out
Thanks
Terry

hey ben i see your thinking about replacing your hood if so what are your plans with it i need the mounting areas where the hinges go mine are rusted out and i pop riveted sections of a 73 hood there so if you decide to throw that old hood out helpa brother out
Thanks
Terry

Will keep you in mind, as I think the hood is beyond reasonable repair! Ben.

Pretty much got the rough work completed on the right rear quarter. Thought I was going to be able to get by with replacing the outer skin, but the inner trunk drop off looked a little thin, so we replaced a small section of it.
A lot of these panel sections are available aftermarket, but over the years we have had to fabricate a number of patch panels for vehicles like my 40 Ford pickup, and several Corvair convertibles we've done, that were not available aftermarket, so we decided to make our own for the Dart. A couple of the pictures are of our homemade sheet metal brake, which we use to make small patch panels that need sharp bends. No need to spend money for equipment that you can easily make from scrap metal! For now, everything is pretty much welded in, with some minor under body welding needed to complete. Ben.

And a few more pics! Last two are of a clutch swing pedal assembly I picked up--pretty sure I'm going to install a 5 speed manual set up--and the six pak intake manifold for the 340 engine. Ben.

-
Back