Arlen Vankes SS/N National Champ Hemi Barracuda

-

SassyGrassScamp

My Addiction Has Begun
Reaction score
I get monthly emails from this place called Best of Show Automotive and every once in a while one of their cars makes my jaw drop....This is one of them....I just read evey word (and looked at every pic), and it is a must read....It's long, but WELL worth the time.

Just thought you guys would enjoy fantasizing over this car ****.

http://inventory.bestofshowautomotive.com/CarDetails_new_arrivals.asp?VIN=131780

That's a typo on that site...No way that is a SS/N car. SS/B 4 speed HEMI all the way. Always curious as to why the front end was white and the rest of the car was blue.

I bought my Duster in the mid 90s from a guy in Akron that claimed he was Arlens nephew. He built about one Duster per year all were 440 conversions and lemontwist. He lived real close to the blimp hangers and had alot of personel stories about his uncle.

That's a typo on that site...No way that is a SS/N car. SS/B 4 speed HEMI all the way. Always curious as to why the front end was white and the rest of the car was blue.

You are correct....If you read the article it later states "Even today, it is the most famous of all of the Hemi SS/B 'Cudas".

nice car seen it at carlisle,arlen was there also,,orignal car found in a barn some where in the mid west,,for 1 million bucks you think they would have a era correct tach,,lol

nice car seen it at carlisle,arlen was there also,,orignal car found in a barn some where in the mid west,,for 1 million bucks you think they would have a era correct tach,,lol

In the article it says:

"Along the way, Hodge and Arlen got together on the car’s restoration and Arlen was able to contribute both in terms of historical accuracy and with priceless vintage speed parts ranging from the Firestone slicks to a Stahl/Moroso tach-drive tachometer mounted on the underside of the dashboard hood".

Thanks for sharing that SassyGrassScamp.
I actually read the Mopar Muscle write up on that about 5? years ago.
When they restored it they wanted it as close as possible which would have ment surface rust in certain areas of the undercariage where modifications had been done. To simulate the rusted areas they airbrushed rust colored paint on them. 8)

That is truly a nice looking car.
I do have a couple of problems with it.
1) The car has a title with it. In Ohio the true BO Barracudas only had a bill of sale to prevent then from ending up on the street.
2) The title, if you look close enough, says the car is a BH29. which would tell me that this is a clone or somebody actually spent the time to convert one for drag racing.

That is truly a nice looking car.
I do have a couple of problems with it.
1) The car has a title with it. In Ohio the true BO Barracudas only had a bill of sale to prevent then from ending up on the street.
2) The title, if you look close enough, says the car is a BH29. which would tell me that this is a clone or somebody actually spent the time to convert one for drag racing.

Yeah, I thought The HEMI Barracudas were B029's...Nice catch.

Yeah, I thought The HEMI Barracudas were B029's...Nice catch.

Come on guys, read the article (can't explain the title, though)....

"The car, a 1968 Super Stock Hemi Barracuda, factory race model B029, is one of very few remaining examples sold in 1968 by Chrysler. All were race-only versions, and competition finish work was done by offsite by Hurst. Most have been destroyed or cannibalized over the years, but this one, chassis #013, remains true to its original form, including the tires it was last raced with by Vanke. It has recently undergone a no- expense spared two-year restoration, and features an incredibly-rare original 426 Crossram Hemi engine built by Arlen Vanke himself. Even today, it is the most famous of all of the Hemi SS/B ‘Cudas".

Come on guys, read the article (can't explain the title, though)....

"The car, a 1968 Super Stock Hemi Barracuda, factory race model B029, is one of very few remaining examples sold in 1968 by Chrysler. All were race-only versions, and competition finish work was done by offsite by Hurst. Most have been destroyed or cannibalized over the years, but this one, chassis #013, remains true to its original form, including the tires it was last raced with by Vanke. It has recently undergone a no- expense spared two-year restoration, and features an incredibly-rare original 426 Crossram Hemi engine built by Arlen Vanke himself. Even today, it is the most famous of all of the Hemi SS/B ‘Cudas".

He was referring to the title...Which there is a picture of and says BH29, even though it should be a B029 VIN...The VIN is correct, just not the title VIN. So while this is the real deal...The title is a little screwy.

In the article it says:

"Along the way, Hodge and Arlen got together on the car’s restoration and Arlen was able to contribute both in terms of historical accuracy and with priceless vintage speed parts ranging from the Firestone slicks to a Stahl/Moroso tach-drive tachometer mounted on the underside of the dashboard hood".

sorry, i didnt read the article,,,have no intrest in buying the car,,,was nice to se the pics,, have sen it in person,,,just from the pics the tach,,looks to modern

The car is a very nice looking car I was concerned about it being truly a BO29 Barracuda. A person that I had talked to a while back bought one new in Cincinnati told me that the state of Ohio would not issue a title for his car as it was for "off road use only". That is why he only has a bill of sale. This car is showing an Ohio title and it would still only have a bill of sale. Unless someone lied to the state BMV.

the guy who did the restoration of this car is just a few miles from where i live ,not only do they do awesome work but he is one hell of a nice guy ! here is a link to his web site and services /http://www.hodgerestorations.com/listofservices.html

Don't know whats up with that title, but the car is Arlens old racecar.

arlen&car.jpg

wasnt this car found mostly intact in the mid west some place if i rememebr correctly,,,,i was waiting for the die cast,,but it was late ended up with the ronnie sox diecast,,and im out of space now,,,maybe ill make room i still love the looks of arlens cuda

my friend in high school had bought a 70 duster 340 whitch had a 440/727 was from arlins shop in copley was call BIG RED. till bob died 3 or4 years ago he was the guy that sold us tire supplys was brother in law to anderson wear arlin worked. i have met arlin lots of times and he always talks and tell story. real nice guy. mentor is just up the road like to go see it. otti smith was a early hemi builder around here. my friend duster had a 538 gear and the cops were always waiting at the end of his road after a friday night of hot roding around. als.

-
Back