ARP main studs clearance problem with Hemi pan

-

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to fit a Hemi pan (bought from 440Source) to a 440 that has ARP main studs fitted. But the back of the pan (the shallow end) is hitting on the rear main studs. This is my first B/RB engine build so not sure if this is a common problem? The engine was previously running a Milodon deep pan (which fitted) but had ground clearance issue so I am swapping for a 6 Quart Hemi pan.

The rear studs and nuts are pushing the pan back almost a half inch.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? I'm sure I wouldn't be the first

thanks

Hi, I am trying to fit a Hemi pan (bought from 440Source) to a 440 that has ARP main studs fitted. But the back of the pan (the shallow end) is hitting on the rear main studs. This is my first B/RB engine build so not sure if this is a common problem? The engine was previously running a Milodon deep pan (which fitted) but had ground clearance issue so I am swapping for a 6 Quart Hemi pan.

thanks
I had to cut mine down to just long enough to stick thru the nuts. I'm running an old hemi funny car pan tho.

thanks Bob. But I don't want to cut the stud, especially in the engine. And no way will I be pulling the studs out. And in any case, this will only help the height issue, I also have the issue with the actual nuts, forcing the pan back almost half inch

thanks Bob. But I don't want to cut the stud, especially in the engine. And no way will I be pulling the studs out. And in any case, this will only help the height issue, I also have the issue with the actual nuts, forcing the pan back almost half inch
sounds like a pan grinding session. What`s wrong w/ pulling the studs out ? I even had trouble w/ those studs and nuts w/ my girdle .

thanks

Can you post a pic? I'm about to buy the same oil pan and have main studs as well. Would it help to buy shorter studs?

Not stud related but I just test fit that pan in my dart today. I was curious about that pan fitting for a while but could never find anyone that ran it. I had to cut the lip of my k frame to get it to fit.

How can the nuts on the rear main studs be hitting the pan when they should be below the aluminum rear main seal? Have you used something other than the stock rear main cap?

How can the nuts on the rear main studs be hitting the pan when they should be below the aluminum rear main seal? Have you used something other than the stock rear main cap?
could this be from bigger than stock studs and nuts? mine wouldn`t even clear the stock rear main seal cap w/o a little grinding. Had to cut the unused part of the girdle off where it just collects oil in front of the main seal cap, and left only the rear shaped like the pan gasket .

could this be from bigger than stock studs and nuts? mine wouldn' t even clear the stock rear main seal cap w/o a little grinding. Had to cut the unused part of the girdle off where it just collects oil in front of the main seal cap, and left only the rear shaped like the pan gasket .
You did good. Pretty common to have to clearance the main seal cap for the stud and 12-point nut. Just looking at it when you fit it up tells you, "Jeez, I gotta file a little bit here." I've even had to machine on the provided main seal cap to clear #5 main cap on $5,500 aftermarket aluminum blocks. Nothing comes perfect. You just gotta be smarter than your engine.

Dad always told me, "Look at the problem Jimmy. It will provide it's own answer."

You did good. Pretty common to have to clearance the main seal cap for the stud and 12-point nut. Just looking at it when you fit it up tells you, "Jeez, I gotta file a little bit here." I've even had to machine on the provided main seal cap to clear #5 main cap on $5,500 aftermarket aluminum blocks. Nothing comes perfect. You just gotta be smarter than your engine.

Dad always told me, "Look at the problem Jimmy. It will provide it's own answer."
Can we say ------MASSAGE /--------------------

WHOSE ALUM. BLOCK ?

-
Back