Auto insurance..inflation....old people!

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Yep, we are old people! wife is 68 and I am 75. She just told me our insurance on our daily Toyota Tacoma (2017 model) just went from $100 to $140!!! NO tickets ever, NO wrecks, nothing. Agent says is INFLATION.. all insurance co. went up!??? That is a 40% increase!! We use a Texas co. as they have always been cheaper than he national co. Maybe "dunning" us because of age?? We are only about 40 mi. from edge of Houston that might not help any. The chit hole of Texas.

Any advice on another co. to get rate from??? I AM PISSED!!!!

Did I mention I am pissed!!???????

I just had mine requoted about 4 months ago, ended up dropping by 46% even with the addition of a million dollar umbrella policy. I suggest you shop around a bit.

Your agent should be requoting / shopping this for you. If he is not, call around to another agent.

Mine goes down as I get older. Sounds like your agent is blowing smoke up your *** and you fell for it.

Last time I renewed mine it went up quite a bit. Evidently insurance is just inflating. Welcome to retirement.

I'd be shopping for new insurance. Inflation makes everything more expensive but they couldn't possibly counteract that by reducing executive salaries or accepting a decrease in profits! That would be too fair for the customer. :rolleyes::mob:

I work in the auto claims industry... (body shop manager and painter). I laugh when all the "old" people come in and "brag" about being with one company for 42 years.... Why are you loyal to a company that dicks us over every day of our lives? The value of your car goes DOWN every year.... but your premium goes UP... makes sense. **** companies like Geico, Progressive use a geographical area to manage premiums... so for example there is a weather event in your area.... your rates go up... regardless of whether or not you filed a claim.

Here is a list I give my customers.

I always say... if you see a commercial, there is a reason they need to advertise!

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

I work in the auto claims industry... (body shop manager and painter). I laugh when all the "old" people come in and "brag" about being with one company for 42 years.... Why are you loyal to a company that dicks us over every day of our lives? The value of your car goes DOWN every year.... but your premium goes UP... makes sense. **** companies like Geico, Progressive use a geographical area to manage premiums... so for example there is a weather event in your area.... your rates go up... regardless of whether or not you filed a claim.

I always say... if you see a commercial, there is a reason they need to advertise!

View attachment 1716154795

View attachment 1716154796

View attachment 1716154797

View attachment 1716154798

View attachment 1716154799

I have Nationwide for auto and home, they're like 65th on that list...!! I'm gonna hit up some of those top 5's see what kind of quote I get. My premiums seem "good enough" but it's for liability-only coverage on my Buick and D200. Duster is on Hagerty, I might switch the D200 over to that because I have a good bit invested in it for parts and labor at this point and "normal" auto insurers don't do comprehensive coverage for vehicles that old. Regardless, big-name national insurance companies can get f***ed for all I care.

it seems that all the insurance companies (in nj atleast ) got the ok to raise rates.... just got yhr following today. have gotten them for my regular insurance earlier int he year....

Dear Valued Policyholder,

This notice replaces any prior notice you received outlining the impact of a proposed rate filing.

This is to provide notice required pursuant to N.J.S.A. 52:27EE-51 of the combined impacts of recent filings to the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance by American Family Home Insurance Company seeking rate increases within a 12-month period.

American Family Home Insurance Company was granted an overall rate increase in the amount of 8.8% effective June 15, 2023 for new business and effective August 15, 2023 for renewal business for Personal Auto Coverage.

American Family Home Insurance Company subsequently filed on October 10, 2023 with the Department of Banking and Insurance a request for an overall rate increase in the amount of 18.6%, which, when combined with the previously approved rate increase(s), could result in an overall rate increase in excess of +7.0%.

If the subsequent filing is approved for the full amount requested, when combined with the previously approved rate increase(s), the average policy will see a rate change of +29.0%. The impact of these filings on your rates may vary substantially, depending on the terms of your policy and your individual circumstances.

The subsequently filed request for a rate increase is subject to review and approval by the Department of Banking and Insurance pursuant to law and the request may not be approved or may be approved for less than the full amount requested. If approved in whole or in part, the rate change will not affect existing policies until they come up for renewal.

If you have any questions, please contact your independent insurance agent/broker or send an email to [email protected].

Thank you again for your business,

American Collectors Insurance"

Yep, we are old people! wife is 68 and I am 75. She just told me our insurance on our daily Toyota Tacoma (2017 model) just went from $100 to $140!!! NO tickets ever, NO wrecks, nothing. Agent says is INFLATION.. all insurance co. went up!??? That is a 40% increase!! We use a Texas co. as they have always been cheaper than he national co. Maybe "dunning" us because of age?? We are only about 40 mi. from edge of Houston that might not help any. The chit hole of Texas.

Any advice on another co. to get rate from??? I AM PISSED!!!!

Did I mention I am pissed!!???????
When I got my renewal in July for my daily drivers and my home insurance, I damn near choked! Home insurance went up nearly $700.00! I have never made a claim!
I did some comparison shopping and found a different insurance company, got better coverage for my home, and the same coverage for my cars, but it was almost $800.00 less for the home policy, and close to $100.00 less for my vehicles. I have my two collector vehicles covered by a different company, I just paid the renewal this week on them, under $300.00/year.
Gotta shop around, my wife hates it, but I don't think I should have to pay insane insurance rates, just because they think they are worth it.
I am 60 and still working full time, my wife is 65 and retired, between the two of us we might drive 15k miles a year.

One reason i have to stay with my company is the have my cars and home. They no longer offer a homeowner's policy with what i have. Was told if i drop the cars my home rate goes up plenty. As no longer bundled.

We will use this guide. Our co. Germania is like 38th! ha Thanks for the info!!!

One reason i have to stay with my company is the have my cars and home. They no longer offer a homeowner's policy with what i have. Was told if i drop the cars my home rate goes up plenty. As no longer bundled.
I'm sure many companies would bundle home and auto to give you a good discount. The funny part is with companies like Progressive is they make you pay a premium rate, and you get tier 3 service. When you do have a claim you get the worst quality repairs possible because they force a shop to use some junk part they found in a puddle in Ohio.

I have Erie ins. and my rate was over $100/6 months cheaper than the others with much better coverage. Some of the better companies also have packages you can purchase to use only OEM parts during repairs.

I'm sure many companies would bundle home and auto to give you a good discount. The funny part is with companies like Progressive is they make you pay a premium rate, and you get tier 3 service. When you do have a claim you get the worst quality repairs possible because they force a shop to use some junk part they found in a puddle in Ohio.

I have Erie ins. and my rate was over $100/6 months cheaper than the others with much better coverage. Some of the better companies also have packages you can purchase to use only OEM parts during repairs.
I have found that bundling has saved me lots of $$. Unfortunately the company I use for my home and daily drivers doesn't offer collector car insurance.

I could save and bundle with some else yes. I could get same on cars but not home. My home coverage on my policy has a lower deductible than new policies. And also higher percentage secondary deductible for named and un-named storms. In fact they would love for me to jump ship. A new policy if i came back would cover less and cost more. Only savings is on cars for me. And the savings would be lost on higher home cost without bundle

Last edited:
-
Back