auto shifter question

-

TRoberts207

Reaction score
So i have a Hurst quarter stick, doesnt quite work right.. its how it was when i bought the car.. the guy told me they had to either choose third gear or park.. it has a reverse shift pattern.. the car doesnt go into park, i have to use the ebrake when the car is parked, neutral or reverse arent in quite the right spot either.. and i have to put the car in neutral to start it.. any help appreciated.. 727 transmission

Sounds like the lever on your trans isn't the proper length, too long.

Does the trans have the hurst lever arm? If so maybe call them and ask. I think I spoke with someone there a long time ago that all 3 speed trans shifters were basically the same for the gates/cable movement. The swing was adjusted via arm length at the trans.

If you want to sell the shifter, let me know. I'm looking for a reverse pattern 1/4stick

the guy i got it from, said the place that put it in had to choose either park or 3rd gear, couldnt have both..

The trans arm is too long, not allowing the cable to move it through the proper swing.

I have a friend that has the same issue with his car using the factory console shifter. Swapped out transmission and the arm was longer on the new one. Car won't get park or all the way down to low, neutral or close is really drive.

Here's what the shift arm should look like. If it's not like this, it may be the stock straight arm.

huu-1058564_w.jpg

If you dont get enough throw from the shifter you would need to change the geometry of the linkage. Either the lower end at the shifter gets longer or the lever on the trans gets shorter.

I had a similiar problem then I noticed that the cable was tight and would not let them shift mecanism fully engage the grooves on the shifter,Kevin

Good point Kevin.

I assumed his cable was working properly and not binding.

-
Back