Auto to T5 Changeover Advice

-

therriault

Reaction score
Hi. I am going to do a changeover. Automatic on the floor to a T 5. Can anyone offer any help.? Thanks in advance

From what I've read those boxes just "ain't" that strong. How much HP you going to run, and how hard on it to figure to be?

The thing that killed them in Mustang wold was the 5.0 made really good low end torque, this with some traction would wear on the trans. There are folks with 500 hp on stock ones and if you take care of them and don't be stupid with slicks and spools they will take some abuse.

Stock T-5 is a decent gearbox if you don't expect too much out of it...if you want it to live behind much more than a healthy 318, get a WC version, rebuilt it with a new 2.95:1 first gear gearset from Astro performance, get a rebuild kit with new synchros from thegearbox.org, add a steel input bearing retainer, and billet countershaft bearing support plate and it'll take some abuse.

I stripped the teeth off 3rd gear in my Mustang...after rebuilding it with the above parts, I beat the **** out of it routinely and never had a problem. There are people running them in nitrous fed 9 sec Mustangs, so unless you're just being an outright gorilla or running it without fluid, they can be built to absorb some power.

My question to the OP is why a T5? Do you already have the trans? If not, I wouldn't waste your money on a T5 and go straight for a Tremec TKO.

Thank you to all who have replied. I certainly appreciate you taking time out to say something. So... The last post said it all. I am going to do the Tremec TKO. that being said. Please add any gracious comments to assist me with my new adventure. Any expertise will be notably appreciated.

Mike

I am using a T5 in my RobKat build. It's a 1976 Mercury Bobcat I am putting a 99 Explorer 5.0 roller motor in. It is a World Class transmission at least. As light as that car is, I think it will be fine. A World Class unit would likely hold up for you, but going to the Tremec certainly assures it will. Good call.

Thank you to all who have replied. I certainly appreciate you taking time out to say something. So... The last post said it all. I am going to do the Tremec TKO. that being said. Please add any gracious comments to assist me with my new adventure. Any expertise will be notably appreciated.

Mike

Mr tehrriault,
I concur with the TKO choice, Obviously You can afford said trans,
By way of Your avatar observation, Seems You may have fabrication 'skills'...

All of which You will need...
Floor pan Mod,( read 3 humps) Firewall Mod, (hydraulic clutch or cable), 'Belly Pan' Mod,
( driveshaft loops), 'A' pillar support Mod, (read 'fat pedal' to 3 pedal)...

I am NOT trying to dissuade Your Vision or build Sir, just Some thoughts from an 'Ol Wrench.

:blob:

Thank you ol wrench. I need to have your contact information. Seems you have a bit of information I need to make knowledge. My addy is [email protected] get ahold of me there at your earliest convenience . Thank you.

-
Back