Automatic to Manual Column COLLARS????

-

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
Aloha FABO!
Ok I know this question has been asked before....I just can't find the thread...dang!

I currently have a floor shifter for my 71 Duster but it still has the automatic column shifter installed. (I did remove the lever)

IS it possible to just swap the steering column collars from an automatic to a manual?

CAN I, WILL THEY?

1.) will they fit? Which different years are compatible?
2.) Can the parts from the auto be reused in the manual? Such as, ignition switch, turn signal cam etc.
3.) Anything I need to be aware of ?

I'm thinking it would be easier to swap it this way then the complete column.

Opinions? suggestion? Ideas?

Plus...shipping would be MUCH cheaper to Hawaii if I got a few light weight column pieces.

I know some of you have ground down your column and made it nice...but I'd rather not go that way.

Mahalo and Aloha!
Mike

Yes, you should be able to swap the pieces in but the whole job will be easier if you pull the column.

Really? Dang I thought it would be easier...well... cheaper I guess.

The cost of a restored column 300 - 500. Shipping 100.

Hmmm....

Mahalo.

Any other with input?

What I mean is, get the upper three sections from a donor. You can find whole columns for under $150. Working on it may be easier with the column out of the car for disassembly. Pulling the column is easier than you might think. Drive the roll pin out of the coupler, unbolt the column under the dash and at the floor, unplug the wires and remove.

I picked up a floor shift column for my 66 Dart for $75 and a m.steering box for $125.I think I did good,seeing we don,t have any yards with any old cars!Try posting in ..Wanted Parts..forum.Good Luck!

I changed mine and pulling the column will make it a simple task. Mine only had 2 collars though so I don't know what the third piece mentioned above would be?

since you have the key in the column, just go to a local junkyard and find an 80's ram with a stick shift and the non-tilt column and grab the parts. They'll bolt right on. That's what I did. There are only two collars.

Here's your basis floor shift column from the era.

column.jpg

I changed one piece of the collar and used a hacksaw to cut of the gear selector window, little bit of JB weld as putty and ya can't tell that piece was an auto. I did it cause I had a 4 speed colum out of a junk yard but everything inside was broke so I had to combine the two colums, try it could be really cheap for ya

Mahalo for the response boys!

I hear ya now. I think that I will pull the column like suggested and do the swap of the collars while sitting on my Lanai (Patio). Sounds like a much easier time.

As far as parts...not gonna happen on island here...most of the old cars are crushed...they only keep the "newer" cars in the salvage yards.

I must rely on E-bay and FABO for my parts.

Mahalo!

-
Back