Automatically Turning Right

-

carfreak6970

Reaction score
Hello,

I am finally getting to the point where I believe I can enjoy my 67 Dart on the road. The build thread is in my signature but it is a 383 with TTI long tube headers and a four speed. Other parts in my following discussion are a rebuilt federal power steering pump and a rebuilt factory steering gear.

The issue I am having is that the car steering will automatically turn the wheels to the right while idling. The car sitting in neutral will turn the wheels to lock and the engine will drop in RPM. If it is not at operating temperature it will stall. Never had a car do this. it also makes hard acceleration difficult with trying to shift and the steering wheel wanting to go right. Unfortunately I do not have enough behind the wheel time to get a feel if the wanting to go right is increased with engine rpm.

Is there some adjustments I can make to either the pump or steering gear? I would very much LOVE to NOT remove the steering gear... With the long tube headers I have would require to disconnect the engine from the mounts and remove the drivers side header and getting that in and out of place was a MAJOR, repeat, MAJOR pain in the behind!

Thanks!

There is a valve on top of the gear box you can loosen the two bolts on and shift it from side to side to adjust that.

Hello,

I am finally getting to the point where I believe I can enjoy my 67 Dart on the road. The build thread is in my signature but it is a 383 with TTI long tube headers and a four speed. Other parts in my following discussion are a rebuilt federal power steering pump and a rebuilt factory steering gear.

The issue I am having is that the car steering will automatically turn the wheels to the right while idling. The car sitting in neutral will turn the wheels to lock and the engine will drop in RPM. If it is not at operating temperature it will stall. Never had a car do this. it also makes hard acceleration difficult with trying to shift and the steering wheel wanting to go right. Unfortunately I do not have enough behind the wheel time to get a feel if the wanting to go right is increased with engine rpm.

Is there some adjustments I can make to either the pump or steering gear? I would very much LOVE to NOT remove the steering gear... With the long tube headers I have would require to disconnect the engine from the mounts and remove the drivers side header and getting that in and out of place was a MAJOR, repeat, MAJOR pain in the behind!

Thanks!

Here's a thread on our site about exactly that!

1967 Dodge Dart GT Power Steering turns all the way to the lock to the right

Cheers!

You just need to adjust the centering valve on top of the box (where the hoses attach). There's two (half inch hex?) bolts that hold it on to the top of the steering box. With the front wheels off the ground, start the engine. Start it sitting in the seat, as reaching through the steering wheel can be painful- the wheel will most likely jerk to the right or left and take your arm with it. Once started, loosen the two bolts- not much, or you will have fluid everywhere; just barely crack them loose. Then tap the whole valve assembly either forward or backward until the steering doesn't pull either way and wants to center. Then tighten the bolts back down. Take it for a test drive, readjust if necessary.

Last edited:
1/2” headed bolts, not 1/2” bolt. You move the valve to the front or rear of the car to make the steering not automatically move. This valve doesn't move side to side.

To test it jack up the front of the car and when you start it the steering wheel should not move at all, and movement and it still needs adjustment.

READ YOUR factory service manual. If you do not have one, wander over to MyMopar.com and download one, for free

Some of those got there because of the guys right here

When you loosen the bolts . I only back off 1/2 to full turn and light tap forward or back. Repeat until right.

-
Back