Axle Bearings

-

75dartsport

Reaction score
What happens if you run the stock axle bearings, with a spool. I know you are supposed to change to the green bearings, but what actually happens. I have a gear I was wanting to try but its on a spool and don't want to change the bearings if I don't end up liking the gear. Thanks Rick

you can't adjust the end play with stock bearings and spool,green bearings require no adjustment.

So is it going to hurt anything by running the stock bearings?

I would imagine that if you drop the thrust spacer back in the spool it should work! Normally the thrust spacer sits in between the pinion shaft, but now with a spool you have no pinion shaft. So when you put the pumkin in the thrust spacer could fallout causing you a problem. If you graese the crap out of it and put the pumkin in very carefully it should stay in place.

As long as you have the thrust spacer in there you'll have no trouble, BUT, you'll loose the bearings and probably the right side axle, if you don't set endplay, correctly.

my concern would be more with the axles because you`re going to put a lot of strain on them with a spool, turning the car. i don`t think the bearing would be an issue, (not sure). i have a spool and the car really hopps when i turn. right know the car is laid up, waiting for my moshers to come in. by the way, nice car you have there

You need to have apsacer in there to set the bearing preload/axle end play. It is the same principle as tightening your spindle nut on your front wheel. Although the taper of the bearings face opposite direction, but it is the same idea. The green bearings are not tapered so the endplay doesn't matter

Anyone else?

I agree with the others that you need a thrust block or you can't preload the bearings and that has to be done no ifs ands or buts. If your original sure grip was a clutch type you won't be able to use the spacers that are in it because their little dinky things that go into the spider carriers. If you had the cone type SG you might be able to use the thrust block in it if it will fit inside the spool. If it don't fit get some round rod that just slips in it (1" should work) and cut it to approx. 1-1/4" long and slip it in. That will give you something to load the bearings against.

-
Back