axle play... pulled axle and saw this.....

-
why do forums have cliques? thanks to the non-judgemental forum people that provide good input, feedback and conversation..

Im sorry, Ive never installed those kits. I always thought that if you have to press them onto the axles just like the timkins, and you have to remove the chunk to remove the thrust block, and you give up the timken feature;What could possibly be the point.So I never bothered to research it. I have replaced several sets of the timkins.

So what locates the assembly so as to prevent it from moving back and forth in the tube in the area formerly occupied by the tapered bearing?
Unless its located on the outboard edge by a large metal ring and a matching new retaining plate.In which case that ring better be up to the task.
And then you have a second problem. Without the Tblock to properly locate the axles in the backing plates, I suppose you would have to locate the bearings in just the right spot, so that the installed drums wouldnt interfere with or rub on the backing plates .And/or if the flanges end up too far out, then the shoes end up too close to the outer edge of the drums, and catching on the ridge that forms there..
IDK. Sounds hokey to me.Like said Whats the point?

got me... im replacing/updating what is on the car.. if it had the adjust type i would stay with them...

I see i am being shunned by a small group on here, why do forums have cliques?

Shunned? Really? :dontknow:

Looks like you've received plenty of help to me. Sure, there are plenty of people out there that don't like the "green" style bearings. Myself included. I've used them before and haven't had failures, but I don't think they're as good as the original tapered style bearings. And I don't think that the original tapered bearings are all that hard to adjust either.

But that doesn't amount to being "shunned", in fact it doesn't have anything to do with you at all. The green bearings vs. tapered bearings discussion has been going on for years. You may need to grow some thicker skin if you're going to spend much time running around on here.

Looks like you've received plenty of help to me. Sure, there are plenty of people out there that don't like the "green" style bearings. Myself included. I've used them before and haven't had failures, but I don't think they're as good as the original tapered style bearings. And I don't think that the original tapered bearings are all that hard to adjust either.

But that doesn't amount to being "shunned", in fact it doesn't have anything to do with you at all. The green bearings vs. tapered bearings discussion has been going on for years. You may need to grow some thicker skin if you're going to spend much time running around on here.

has nothing to do with this thread and has nothing to do with the tapered or green... that was all great info.... just a comment and thanking those that have free will and dont play follow the leader. I was happy to see good input from people on this thread and the quiet from those that are not so polite. at almost 50... my skin is getting wrinkly and kinda rubbery...

the shunned is for the 3 amigos.... had NOTHING to do with your or anyone elses help or the debate on bearings.... i dont care what bearing as long as it works...like i said if it had the adjustable i would have gone with them... it had the green (why do they call them that? they are not green) therefore the ease would be to go back with them. thanks for your help.. at this point im wishing they were the old style..ive worked with them before also.

I have bought the tapered bearing kits straight from Chrysler in the past. In the box was 1 bearing set, 1foam gasket, 1 steel shim-gasket and, IIRC,2 steel retainers;1 of them adjustable..

You have the problematic first generation Green Bearing with the crimped on, 5-hole retainer.

The retainer plate breaks off and the bearing falls inside the housing end.

The second-generation Green bearing incorporates a loose retainer and snap-ring which keeps this from happening.

You have the problematic first generation Green Bearing with the crimped on, 5-hole retainer.

The second-generation Green bearing incorporates a loose retainer and snap-ring which keeps this from happening.

which is why you have sent me the new bearings...they will be here this week...thanks dr.diff!

So now that i have to pull the other axle knowing i have the old style version 1 c3p0 bearings... is it ok to spin the other axle around to unbolt it.. or does the other have to be in and unbolt both and pull out in the same position ... being a posi rear? or does it matter? seen posts that people have said that axles wouldnt go back in because they moved something......?

I would set the first axle back in the hole until you unbolt the other one while you spin it just to be safe. This way you won't get the inner cone and the outer axle gear out of sinc.

My buddy had green bearings on his daily driver and his axle came out on him and gouged his wheel well and the car dropped onto the 1/4 panel without warning. It cost him close to $700 to fix it by the time it was done because the shavings got into his sure grip and ruined that too. If you look inside the 90's mopar performance catalog's they list the green bearings as drag race only which they have since removed. My buddy was lucky I had a spare car for him to borrow. I don't use green bearings for my daily driver

Will the new gen stand up to every day daily driver usage?

So now that i have to pull the other axle knowing i have the old style version 1 c3p0 bearings... is it ok to spin the other axle around to unbolt it.. or does the other have to be in and unbolt both and pull out in the same position ... being a posi rear? or does it matter? seen posts that people have said that axles wouldnt go back in because they moved something......?

Can you say sure grip,I knew you could, stop talking Chevy lol just razz-en you.What i like your fix en some pos that did not have the balls tooooooooooooooo.:violent2:

Can you say sure grip,I knew you could, stop talking Chevy lol just razz-en you.What i like your fix en some pos that did not have the balls tooooooooooooooo.:violent2:

apparently i have the cone posi.... i have no choice..it is mine problems and all... at least it will be "right" when im done fixen...

There it is!

Yes there it is indeed. I have talked about the early and later style green bearings numerous times in other threads only to be completely ignored and the green bearing trash talk continue. They are good bearings if you use the later style. But around here, everyone is an expert that's never tried them.

the green is the same style used in hub and bearing assy for some late model cars and trucks.

the green is the same style used in hub and bearing assy for some late model cars and trucks.

Again, "I" have said that so many times I run out of air. You are preachin to the choir. I started turning wrenches at nine, so I am pretty familiar with just about every style automotive bearing there is. No need to school me on it. I was THERE when these type bearing came into the mainstream.

Again, "I" have said that so many times I run out of air. You are preachin to the choir. I started turning wrenches at nine, so I am pretty familiar with just about every style automotive bearing there is. No need to school me on it. I was THERE when these type bearing came into the mainstream.

you know there are a lot of brains on this board but when RRR speaks i don't dought a single word.:evil3:

And the same style used on Ford 8" , 9" , Early GM and others since since Henry Ford was a toddler! With no issues!

Only the first part of this statement is completely true. Go on any early Ford forum and you can find stories about folks having axles walk out of the housings, especially with the early 9" truck housings. Which were later redesigned.

Yes, they have been used extensively. But not without issues. At least, not without ANY issues. I'm sure the instances of failure are still a tiny percentage compared to the total number of rear axles out in the world. But saying there hasn't been any issues is simply false.

-
Back