Axles will not go in

-

downsr

Reaction score
Changing 391 pig to 323.Both are 741 housings.Has green bearings.Bought 741 case with
323 gears.Put pig in axles like about 1/4 of inch from going in .Seems like axle race is tilted out at the bottom more like they are in at an angle.The guy supposedly removed what ever it is in the pig that allows the axles to go in with green bearings.Bought it from a guy in Springfield Ohio named Greg that does a lot of these.Been trying to reach him for 2 days with no luck. Any ideas guys

Did you remove the thrust button from the axle. (I believe it is the end of the drivers axle) I see he supposedly removed it. Dang I don't know unless the bearing and retainer wasn't pressed on far enough.

The thrust buttons are actually two mushroom like pieces that are held together by a roll pin or long pin like a nail bradded on one end. If they have fallen out of position it will stop the axle from going in. If you have a magnet on a wand you may be able to pull them out the tube.

The thrust buttons are actually two mushroom like pieces that are held together by a roll pin or long pin like a nail bradded on one end.

Unless it's a cone type, then it's a block.

I suspect, if it's a suregrip, he is only hitting the first set of splines, and not engaging the second.

If it is a cone you should be able to look down the tube with a good flashlight and see if the splines are lined up.

Problem solved.I find this hard to believe but i had the differential back plates resting on top of two wooden blocks one under each backing plate and no support under the pig.This is on a drive on car lift.I put the jack back under the pig and raised it and took the blocks from under the backing plates and axles went right in.I spoke to the guy i bought the pig from and he suggested the housing may be bent.That got me thinking about the way i had it jacked up.

Problem solved.I find this hard to believe but i had the differential back plates resting on top of two wooden blocks one under each backing plate and no support under the pig.This is on a drive on car lift.I put the jack back under the pig and raised it and took the blocks from under the backing plates and axles went right in.I spoke to the guy i bought the pig from and he suggested the housing may be bent.That got me thinking about the way i had it jacked up.

Actually that makes alot of sense, you took the weight off where the tires normally reside, if I am understanding what you did.
I always change them with the frame on jack stands, all the weight of the rear, everything hanging free.

"What you did" should not have bent anything, that dimension should not change much between jack points. It might change SOME so if it was already "out of tolerance" towards one direction, what you did for jacking may have tweaked it that last bit.

If that's true, I'd bet you have a bent housing.

It also might be "you got lucky" somehow and the whole deal is a coincidence.

-
Back