B-body question; mystery dash knob

-

swinger

Reaction score
Anyone know what this knob under the fuel gauge on a 68 charger is supposed to control?
Also, is this a factory installation with the separate bezel section it sits in??

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 194
I would say added ...I have the same dash and as far as I know, only a rear defrost or convertible top switch should be there because those switches match the two bolt pattern that is on the housing in that location

That almost looks like a rear speaker switch but even if it were ...the rear speaker switch should be to the right of the radio because there is a hole in the frame to the right of the radio for it. So I would say this switch was added by someone at some point.

Thanks. No, I haven't yet looked to trace the circuit. It feels electrical (like a rheostat), not mechanical when I spin it. The car does have a factory looking rear speaker so maybe that's it. The radio does not work so I can't easily verify that. Yeah, I'll post on FBBO for some insight as well.

the rear speaker should be to the right of the radio and if it were "rear defrost" or convertible "Top" ...it would be a rectangular rocker switch that looks like the headlight switch.

Attachments

• 68_Charger0018.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 154
That knockout is for the rear defroster rocker or something like that. My B-body had a hole drilled in it with a switch just like that. They had it rigged as a kill switch. I got rid of it and bought a nice new blank for it.

Maybe convertible top rocker switch for some models, but not Charger.

-
Back