back into cars,yay !

-

sleepyswinger

Reaction score
Going back to the high school days of the hot rod,back then it was a 55 Chev two door hard top with a 67 vette motor 327 4-spd,two years ago bought a 72 dart swinger (new orange paint,white vinyl,top black hounds tooth,318 auto,new chrome bumpers with rally wheels and dual exhaust,all original ) from a neighbor of 20 year who past away of cancer,trying to keep his dream alive by keeping it nice and driving it and letting my step boys 19 & 16 use it on special days like graduation for good times,BUT it sounds like a stock 318, need the sound of a good cam etc.Want to rebuild the motor as it has 160 k miles, would like to make it a sleeper,talked to two shops about the 400 HP build they said no way,what do the people of fabo say, they even asked a rep at comp,he said about 300 hp,like this a-body site lots of good info,thanks for your input,sleepyswinger

400HP is easy. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/viewall.html
that's just one way.

seriously though... i'd leave the 318 in her for now. get a used 360 somewhere. build that sucker up. then swap it in. you will get more HP for less money. it wont take much to hit 400HP with a 360. heck you could even put a stroker kit in the 360 and get close to 500.

it's all what you want to put into it, really.
Really would like to use the original motor as the 318 is internaly balanced for the 904,thinking or a 4" stroke but have been told that the cam would sound smaller,can't have that lol,need that mopar sound,the local machine shop said the builds from mopar muscle magazine,popular hot rodding and car craft are not correct.

Welcome aboard! There are a number of 318 pro's on here, as well as a couple of Mopar machine shops, that could steer you in the direction you need.

Thanks for the welcome,the more I look at fabo the more info I can relate to, MOPAR,still doing my research weather to do the so called 400 + build or stroke it. Does a cam sound smaller with a stroked motor ? ? Sill researching on heads,like to go with cast with 2.02 / 1.60 something I believe like edel. Aluminum but with out the price tag,Thanks P S not sure how to post pics, old school here but learning !

Ago k rebuilt heads with an upgrade to larger valves will run close to new Edel. Heads a d flow well for the intended power level you seek.
Ether get the Edel. Heads or pay the same approx. price for 360 heads redone and bowl ported.

Set pistons at zero deck. W/bowl port 360 heads, RPM intake, 650 min. carb, headers I to a 2-1/2 exhaust. For a cam, I'd look at one slightly north of [email protected] with as much lift as the heads can handle. (AKA. Where the air flow stalls.)

Stoking is great and adds to the price tag pretty well.

What about a 318/390 stroker kit from Huges,can you put a roller cam in a 72 318 ? Then RHS heads with a MP M1 intake and a 770 st. Avenger, Yay ! Thanks

-
Back