Back into Mopars

-

LaDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all. May name is Roger, I live in MN. I just joined FABO this week. The reason I joined is because this last summer I got a 1971 Dodge Demon. As I was looking for information, I seemed to always end up on this forum for some very helpful information. The reason I got the Demon is because shortly after I got out of high school (1973) I bought a Petty Blue 1972 Demon. It was a 318/3 speed on the floor and about the only thing I did to it was to put on a set of Keystone Klassics, Goodyear L60s on the back and air shocks, oh yah and an 8-track player to listen to Santana and Hendrix. Other then that just totally enjoyed cruising in it. That's about the same time I started going out with my wife and in 1977 I got married and sold the Demon because gas was becoming too expensive. I still have my wife but for the last 45+ years I've been kicking myself for selling the 72 Demon.

I've always been a car guy and pretty handy with a wrench. I have a few other vehicles like a 1947 CJ2A Jeep, 1972 Triumph TR6, 1958 Chevy Bel Air, 1957 Chevy pickup, TWO - 2003 BMW Z4 (one a street car and the other Z4 I built into a SCCA T4 class road racecar) and my 1953 Ferguson TO30 tractor. Now the Demon.

I got the 318/3 speed Demon from an online auction. BEWARE, you get what you get in an online auction, be prepared for what comes. The spec sheet looked good and the pictures looked great. It said it was a 318 with 340 heads and solid lifters. The car ran fine but sounded like the lifters were going to pop out of the hood and it leaked oil pretty much any place it was possible to leak. The transmission shifts hard into second, it has plastic bumpers and a fiberglass hood. The only thing that works on the dash is the fuel gage. Anyway I ran it a bit this summer just to shack it down and decided to install disc brakes in front, put Keystone Klassics on and go through the engine. After teardown of the engine, I found that the heads are a (974) 360, hydraulic lifters (mostly collapsed) and a Comp Cam with one lobe GONE. The block cylinders are 0.030 over and it has a 340 crank. They were running straight water in the cooling system so everything is complete rust. I made the decision to start over on the engine and I'm now well on the way of building a 318 to 390 stroker. I found a really good block for $200 and I think a good stroker kit (Hughes). The only thing I thing I'm going to reuse is the Edelbrock Intake, Quick Fuel carb, timing cover, double roller timing chain and the 360 heads.

Stay tuned, it should be fun!

I

Welcome from Texas and a fellow Demon owner, let's see some pictures.

Pictures of the Demon shortly after I got it and of my chief mechanic checking out the rear brakes...

IMG_4225.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

Welcome from Avon. Still have my first car but sadly not my wife. Nice looking Demon

Welcome from WI from another Demon owner. Looks great in the pics. Keep the updates flowing

Very smart of you to turn to the expert on that car, he’s definitely got a handle on things! Welcome back to the wonderful world of Mopars, glad to have you among us!

-
Back