Back to basics

-

2LearnMore

Reaction score
Got a little bit different kind of question for the Engine folks or the Performance folks. This has probably been covered a hundred times already, I am still doing a lot of reading on old threads. I haven't seen this question asked yet so here it goes. . . .

Like everybody else, I am interested in the specifics related to my 360 engine. When I read all the 360 related threads, it gets confusing on how to design my objective. There are what seems like an infinite combination of setups. If I plan on one thing (like the Lunati Voodoo cam #60403), that has a domino effect through other items (carb, heads, pistons, compression ratios, etc.). Another example is if I chose to try for a 400 HP target in a "strong streetable" performance car, and the domino effect seems to go through endless tire sizes, rear end gear ratios, rear end size, headers, heads, and etc.

Obviously, not an unlimited budget BUT, my goal is to spend my money wisely, get the best bang for my buck and try to do it right the first time (go ahead -laugh, I know that it sounds foolish but, there are a lot of dollars spent on trial and error - a mistake that I would like to avoid).

What advice would you guys give me or others in my stage of learning, in regards to the basic overall process of going about my build and the order for choosing the right components?

Hi and welcome 2, great screen name... The reason you get a million different ideas is a bunch of people have done it different ways. There are dozens of ways to skin a cat. So before we start.. what kind car do you have? What's in it for parts now? What options (like P/S, P/B, A/C, etc)What do you want to do with it in terms of driving? How much money (in the short and long term) do you have for it? Be specific.

Welcome to FABO. You've come to the right place 'cause there's no shortage of opinions here. As Moper said, you've seen a lot of different combinations from a lot of builders.
I've got to applaud your research as I'm trying to do the same thing in my '69 Dart build - lots of research and only a one-time purchase of the right parts in the right combination.
Luckily, my choices on some of the major parts was made when I originally bought my Dart. It came with a brand-new 380-horse 360 crate motor, 727, and b-body 8.75 rearend. All good starting pieces IMO.
Again, as Moper already said, let us know the specifics on your car, your intended usage and where you want to end up, and an approximate budget.
We'll be glad to spend your money for you!

Moper - Thank you for your reply. I have watched your advice to several other folks and am fortunate for the chance to hear your suggestions.

The car is in storage (Yes, actually in a barn) and I can't get into it to get complete answers to "what it is". The parts that I know are: this is a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport. Bought it from a Ebay actuion about a year and a half ago. It comes with a "strong" 360 and a newly overhauled 727 transmission (Per the 2nd hand seller). The engine has an nearly new Eddy carb and a Torker 340 intake(???) and stock exhaust. Other than that - I am not sure what it has. I am planning to begin building a garage this holiday weekend and as soon as I that is done, I will get the car moved and have a better chance to answer your questions. I plan to work on the car throughout the winter.

The car has already been started as a project car and most of the exterior paint has been sanded by a previous owner. NO major rust issues anywhere. Was originally a 318 auto tan with tan interior. No A/C, P/B or P/S at this time. I would look at changinig the brakes and suspension options before I could tell you that part of the plan. I think that I remeber it had drum brakes and an 8.25 rear end (gears???)

My wife and I had another 1973 Dodge Dart Sport, 318 auto when we first got married so this car is going to be a sentimental rebuild/reminder of our first one. Top Banana yellow exterior with black interior. We will be using it as a fun street car and possibly enter a few small charity auto shows/cruise ins. We want the car to have some "muscle" for those special opportunities to "get on it". I think that the 400HP target is plenty for us for a long time. We plan to keep the car for a long time.

The budget is still being decided based on what we do to the car. My guess is probably in the $8K - $10K range. We know that power will cost (ie. 408 Stroker=$$$$$). From what I have learned so far, I think that I am planning on getting the block torn down and inspected. IF it is rebuildable, I plan to put it back togther with KB-107 pistons, a Lunati 60403 Voodoo cam, Airgap intake, Eddy heads or something similar (that has been "worked on" for good performance), TTI headers, "X" pipe, the 727 with a shift kit, correct carb, the 727, 15" tires and the correct gears, carb, etc.

We are still in the design phase so our budget plans are not set in stone. We have watched similar setup cars for sale and know that it will very hard to get our money out of it, so we don't want to go too far into the money pit.

Hope this gives you a little to work with.

OCDart - THANKS so much for the encouraging comments. It is awfully tempting to jump right in BUT with the vast talent pool here at FABO - I would like to learn from other folks mistakes and spend my money wisely.

#1 (And this one is free) Ask your self what you need the car to do for you to be satisfied.

THEN......

Form a plan around that.

Myself for example......... I need at least mid 14s in full street trim to be happy. I also need reasonable MPGs (again around 14). I only care for a stock look, on the inside and the outside.

I hate chrome on an engine.

Don't get hung up with a HP number.

Again...... An example....

If I know what I need, and i do.......

I could post.......

I have a 73 Duster... I'm doing a 360 auto build. It will have full interior with and all stock external trim installed. I will be running stock size tires (but could go wider in the rear, just not taller) I don't want any body or wheel well mods. I want gearing that is happy on the highway and I'm looking for a mid 14, 1/4 mile with mid teens for gas milage.

What would you recommend......

2LearnMore - You're 100% right. I'm doing the same thing in drawing from the knowledge/talent pool here on FABO and incorporating the available information in my plans for my build.
Never be afraid to ask any question as you'll always get a quick and friendly answer.
I'm interested to see how your build progresses.
I've been accumulating parts for the past 2 years as the budget allowed. I've also been talking with local painters for the past several years and finally decided on one today. I've got a tentative date set for Sept. 1 for my Dart to go in for paint. Now the fun starts as I need to pull the engine/tranny, strip the interior and glass out, and pull the bumpers and window trim before it goes in for paint.
Guess I'll be starting a build-progress thread soon.
Do the same for yours so we can follow the progress.

It sounds like you are already a good ways ahead of me. We'll be watching for your restoration thread.

It will probably be sometime around fall before I can really get going. My intention is to come up with my build plan and identify the parts that I need. Then I plan to shop around and take advantage of some good deals. In between engine assembly steps (when I have built what I can afford), I will be doing body work will I gather money for the next set of engine parts. By the time the engine is built, I hope to be able to have the body ready to drop in the motor/transmission.

Sounds like I may need to get started shopping for a painter soon. See - I have learned something new today!

-
Back