back window gasket

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
Good Day, I'm going to be removing my rear window for some tinting and want to replace the gasket while its out. Any recommendations for the rubber. Thanks. Dean

If it isn't torn or cracked don't replace it get some laquer reducer , some rags , some real old clothes to wear and restore it , the new repop ones are notoriously ill fitting .

If it doesn't tear when removing I might just do that. I don't see any consistency with the year groupings, afraid I might get one that doesn't fit.

Steele Rubber Co has the oem gaskets. Don't waste your money on ebay gaskets as they don't fit and are made of inferior materials. I know from experience.

Steele Rubber Co has the oem gaskets. Don't waste your money on ebay gaskets as they don't fit and are made of inferior materials. I know from experience.

X2.... back in the day when Lynn Steele (himself) was producing every piece of rubber themselves, there rubber was totally correct and exact!! I'm not totally sure anymore they make everything they sell, but I'm sure they can tell you via a phone call. The Steele Rubber on my 38 Plymouth Coupe still looks excellent after 35 years.... so I would say, you get what you pay for!!

Thanks for the help, if my original tears its the Steele one for a replacement.
For my 74 Dart Sport I went with Steele Rubber replacements. Good quality product. While restoring my Dart I removed the windshield and rear glass to inspect, repair and seal the glass track. I did not want any leakage or rust issues along the track.

Putting the glass back in is a lot of work. The service manual recommends to glue the gasket in place and use masking tape to hold it tight in place while the glue dries. this is so the gasket wont move or fall out while putting the glass back in.
The best way to get the glass back in the grove of the gasket is to use the rope or string method. The glass will be on the outside of the gasket. Put the rope in the gasket grove with both ends of the rope sticking outside of the glass. Hold one end of the rope, and pull the other end, as the rope pulls out of the grove it will pull the lip of the gasket out over the glass. Just keep using the same method around the glass. It was a lot of work. Once the glass was back in, then I could put the gasket locking bead strip in. You can use some soapy water to help the gasket slip into place.

Steve C.

-
Back