Backfiring, sputtering, and stall

-

69wacuda

Handling, and a 500ci engine.... All in good time!
Reaction score
Alright guys I took my barracuda out for it's test run today and I am not happy what s0 ever! I start out when its cold and it takes off fine. As the car warms up and I start to go over 60+ mph it will start to sputter and if I keep pushing it it will act like I am running out of gas. I can limp along for about a mile or so but it will die eventually. I get out and look at the fuel filter and it is bone dry...??? If I let it sit for a while and pump the pedal eventually the fuel will flow again??? I originally thought it was vaporlock because i found the fuel line was sitting on the exhaust but i have since fixed that. Next I thought it was a vacum being created because the vent on the fuel filler pipe was capped by the previous owner. I have since removed that and it is still acting up. Oh yeah, and if I get on it pretty hard it will sputter and backfire. The last time it did, it wedged the choke on really tight. I am running a Carter AFB competition carb and 10 degrees advanced, if that helps?

When it starts acting up again leave the gas cap loose and try it again, that'll eliminate the vent as the problem. If it it still does it you'll need to plumb in a fuel pressure guage, bringing it out so you can see it while driving, as close to the carb as possible to eliminate low pressure as being the problem. Have you changed the fuel filters and there also maybe one right at the carb where the fuel line connects.

Update: I removed the old glass fuel filter and replaced it with a WIX fuel filter from O'reillys. and I retarded the timing from 10 degrees advance to about 6. It has since run a whole lot better. Question, I have a '71 360 that seems like it gets harder to start the warmer the car is, is this normal? Should I chalk this up to a learning experience of my first old car?

I can't believe it is on the road officially as of yesterday!

-
Back