Backup lights, wipers, switch

-

matthon

Reaction score
67 Barracuda- trying to solve a wiper problem that is affecting the reverse lights.

67s came with the variable speed motor (2822962) and switch (2770378).

Mine has a variable speed wiper motor, and the switch was apparently replaced with a 2 speed wiper switch (2820525).
The 2 speed switch has the same number of connections as the variable switch, except the green and red wire connector on the switch is mounted 180 degrees- those 2 tabs are the opposite way.

From the switch are:
DK Green - to motor
Red - to motor
DK Blue - to motor
Brown - to motor
Brown TR - to washer
White - to backup light switch, yes, on the tranny, it then goes to the backup lights

The wiring at the bulkhead to the motor is short 1 wire:
Empty (s/b DK Green)
Red - to motor cylinder
DK Blue - to motor, the top
Brown - spliced, one wire sent to the cylinder, one to the top of the motor

The wipers work and there are 2 speeds.
When I put the car in reverse, the backup lights will not light. If I turn the wipers on with the car in reverse, the wipers do not work. If I play around with the wiper switch, and usually it is making a clicking sound, the wipers come on and the reverse lights.

I replaced the dash harness and the engine harness with new. I've grounded everything, and made sure the switch is grounded. I have checked the wiring diagrams.

Any ideas on whether the 2 speed switch could damage the motor?
Or if the wiring to the motor is ok for making a 2 speed switch work a variable motor, which was probably their goal?
If I replace the switch with a variable switch, where does the DK Green wire go to exactly?
And, finally, is there a better solution to the factory idea of getting power for the reverse lights through the wiper switch?

Any help is appreciated. I know this is long, but I have done my research, and searched the forums- just could not find anything on my exact situation.

Are you sure none of the bulkhead wires are crossed. The B/U and wipers are on the same connector opposite sides.

You may have a 2-speed wiper. Mine (67) is 2-speed and has 3 wires also.

I love that wiring diagram!

I see the power goes thru wiper switch "B" and thru internal circuit breaker and out thru B/U backup lamps switch. I read this on another post with pics of the switch so credit is not mine.

You may have to take your switch apart and clean the contacts.

On edit that clicking sound could be the internal circuit breaker....

Oh here is a Part# on mine:

Attachments

• Wiper Plug.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 281
  • Wiper Motor Finished.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 279
  • MVC-011S.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 295
You may have a 2-speed wiper. Mine (67) is 2-speed and has 3 wires also.

I love that wiring diagram!

I see the power goes thru wiper switch "B" and thru internal circuit breaker and out thru B/U backup lamps switch.

Intresting.

68/69 the +12v feed for the BU lamps came from the white on the radio plug to the bulkhead. On the 67 the white +12v comes from the wiper switch to feed the BU lamps. Did not look at the diagram that close and I cadded it!! Good call RBob!

2822962 I looked up the wiper motor here:
http://www.passion4mopars.com/Mopar-Wiper-Motor-Part-Numbers_b_3.html
1967-68 AB VARIABLE LATE ALUM/BLACK
And in the casting numbers book I have.

Yours in that pic is clearly the exact same motor as mine, so I guess it is a 2 speed.
None of my bulkhead wires are crossed.

Well, that probably solves my problem. Not sure of the best way to take the switch apart, have to look at that more closely.

Since the switch works fine, unless it is in reverse, and I do not have a radio, maybe I can just power the backup lights off the radio- or off something else.

Strange, the wiring diagrams for 67 show 4 wires going to the wiper motor, and other info indicates 67 came standard with the variable motor. That could be true, however it could have been made non-standard later in the 67 model run- just guessing. Yet 'Variable Late' would lead me to believe that this motor was manufactured late in the model year. My car was built in May 67.

I know parts come and go on cars, but this was confusing- thank you!

What is the purpose of the internal circuit breaker?

So if the wipers are frozen to the glass or otherwise restricted...

Thanks Redfish! I did not have a clue...

FYI The switch comes apart fairly easily, just some tabs need be bend and the switch will come apart, 1200-1500 sand paper to the contacts and re-assemble.

If that circuit breaker is bad not sure how to fix, maybe by-pass and add a circuit breaker.

Matthon,

I fixed my wiper issue similar to yours so I am throwing this at ya.

My wipers were slow and causing circuit breaker to reset, checked my backup lamps and they were not working and they used too. I could hear the clicking in the switch and I thought the switch was bad / possibly my wiper motor which sucks cause I took it apart last year.

Switch checked out so I checked the motor with jumper wires with harness unplugged, no park and would spin on low and high... ****

Taking it out was easier than the rant I had going... Take the nut off of the shaft at wiper linkage, 3 nuts from the front, first remove neg batt cable.

I disassemble and seemed like a lot of grease I put in last time so cleaned most of that up, took the motor cover off and looked close at the brushes, they barely made contact:

which I think this is not good, pull the windings part way out and take the brushed out of the holder and I used a round file to cut a better pattern if you will. Then put the brushed back in and slide armature back down carefully.

Next I took a piece of #1200 grit sand paper 1/4" wide maybe 6" long and slid it under the brush's (one at a time) and did a shoe shine like motion with the sandpaper to to let the sandpaper seat the brush onto the armature. (hope that makes sense) after both sides were seated I turned over the paper and did cleaned up the armature with the sandpaper, just spun the armature with my fingers and held the sandpaper on it.

Put it back together and I cant F***ing believe how good my wipers work:blob::blob:

They park, low is great, high is great, reverse lights work and no circuit breaker issue.

I am so friggin happy :blob::blob:

Nothing to loose to give it a try

Attachments

• P1160150.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 207
  • P1160156.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 244
  • P1160154.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 272
I had it in my head that the two speed and variable speed motors were the same. Also I have TWO rebuilt motors here that SOMEHOW have been rebuilt AND WORK with one less wire!!!!! than the original!!!!

(I hate mopar wipers)

Service manual and passion web site is my advice

I had it in my head that the two speed and variable speed motors were the same. Also I have TWO rebuilt motors here that SOMEHOW have been rebuilt AND WORK with one less wire!!!!! than the original!!!!

(I hate mopar wipers)

Service manual and passion web site is my advice

Dell,

I never thought about that but my money is on you, maybe only difference is the switch and the 3 wires vs 4 wires.

To clarify, both Passion and the Casting #s book list 2822962 as a variable speed wiper motor, but it is a 2 speed.

Found my issue- a brand new defective tranny reverse switch. It worked for a while and died slowly. I kept thinking it might be the problem, as I am sure we all have had defective, new, electrical parts- but I was fooled.

If you put a 3 wire switch ( w/reverse ) in a 67 or earlier trans that accommodates only the 1 wire neutral safety switch you might have a repeating switch failure.

Matt that leese neville wiper motor could be either way 2 speed or 3-var speed. if 3 wire - 2 speed, if 4 wire - 3/var speed. The best I can tell (visually)some time in around February/march of 67 the std variable speed wiper was changed to 2 speed.

Strange, the wiring diagrams for 67 show 4 wires going to the wiper motor, and other info indicates 67 came standard with the variable motor. That could be true, however it could have been made non-standard later in the 67 model run- just guessing. Yet 'Variable Late' would lead me to believe that this motor was manufactured late in the model year. My car was built in May 67.

-
Back