Bad transmission problems

-

TRoberts207

Reaction score
So i took my 73 Duster 440, 727 trans, to work today.. went fine on the way, was going fine on the way home.. about 3/4 of the way i started smellingv something hot.. got ready to pull in my drive, and noticed smoke pouring out the back of the car.. noticed i was leaving a trail down the road as well.. a good size trail.. pulled in and shut the car off, now have a big puddle under the car, about a six inch puddle.. looks to be dripping somewhere near where it meets the engine.. this is a newer trans, but never had any problems.. always check it, always where it needs to be on the dipstick.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.. PLEASE HELP!!:angry7:

You blew the pump seal... Trans needs to come out, check the convertor snout for cracks.... It happens....

The obvious thing would be the front pump seal, but before you go there, check your cooler lines. It is possible that as you were driving the car one or the other of them may have been damaged by contact with the engine, suspension, road kill.etc.

Amen on the cooler lines. Been there done that. It's a lot cleaner job with pre-bent lines.

If the seal is gone, you might just as well replace the bearing behind it, too.

i went out again and took a look, i could see it dripping from the bottom of the trans, the part that hangs down below, right behind the oil pan, it head a pretty good leak going, ill jack it up tommorow so i can crawl under it better and take a look, everything is way too hot right now.. how much of a job is it to change the pump seal, can you do it by just dropping the trans, or must the motor come out as well..please excuse my ignorance, im learning as i go.

You just have to drop the trans. Motor don't need to come out. Make sure and have that converter checked for cracks like Moper said. I learned the hard way hairline cracks that you can't see can leak alot. Take the converter to a trans. shop and they can check it easily. After you install the seal make sure and grease it up where the converter slides in so the converter don't score it when you first start it up.

i had the pump seal replaced..and the bushing.. didnt fix the problem, ended up being a broken weld near the snout of the converter..

-
Back