ball and trunion to a splined output

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
in case I stumble on to one of these again,,
what is invloved in changing an a-833 output from a ball and trunion to a splined output?
are the parts needed available seperate, or is it best to wait for what fits.

thanks

I was looking at doing the same thing from what I have learned you will need a new tail shaft and tail shaft housing. I believe aftermarket aluminum tail housings are out there.

thanks

never even considered converting the drive shaft, shows about anything is possible,, I believe I would rather convert the transmission, of course I would rather find a post 66 with the spicer slip joint.

It's way easier to do the driveshaft , the parts are on the shelf of any good driveshaft guy ( 4 x 4 stuff ) . . Mine was $200.00 complete . If you do the trans (4 spd manuel) you need a new mainshaft , and tailhousing , plus all the labor to swap it over ....

if its an A body box with the ball and trunion,,its either a 1964 or 65 only,,as far as i know,,those boxes all have the 3.09 first gear,,and are not easy to come by,,, a 1966 box has a 2.66 first gear and 1970 and up has a 2.45 first gear,,with the exception od the OD BOXES they also have the 3.09 first gear,,

they also use the better side cover,,with the ball bearing detent,,,

the 3.09 will give you a little quicker RPM from a standing start,,,weather you convert the tail shaft or the yoke using the 4x4 stuff its worth it,, i have one that i converted the tail shaft,,the easiest way to do that is to get a junk donor trans,,make sure you get one withg the same size main shaft and bearings,,

I picked up a trunion style abody trans and was told that I would have been better off to get a later style slip yoke tranny for my 68 barracuda. my question is does the erlier A-body 4spd have any advantages over the slip yoke type(gear ratio or other) and would I be better off selling this to someone looking to do a 66 or erlier conversion or replacement. I gave 250.00 for the tranny and hope I did'nt make a bad buy.

I picked up a trunion style abody trans and was told that I would have been better off to get a later style slip yoke tranny for my 68 barracuda. my question is does the erlier A-body 4spd have any advantages over the slip yoke type(gear ratio or other) and would I be better off selling this to someone looking to do a 66 or erlier conversion or replacement. I gave 250.00 for the tranny and hope I did'nt make a bad buy.

it all depends on what you plan to do,,,the first gear in that tranny is a lower (faster reving ratio ) then the 1966 and up tranys,, the 1964/65 box your box uses a 3.09 first gear,, the 1966 box has a 2.66 first gear,,the 1970 has a 2.45 first gear,,

you can either convert the tail shaft or there is a U joint out there that will convert your drive shaft,,,

-
Back