ballast resistor on wiper motor interchangable with an ignitin one?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
I have a 2 speed wiper motor on my duster
it looks like the thingy that is mounted on there, which makes it run slow, is missing

(all I have is full bore)

so I'm guessing if I find one of those doohickeys, I could install it and get slow going again?

EDIT:MORE INFO

si I just bolted up an old ballast resistor from my ignition and it works like a charm
I now have high and low speed wipers

just to be sure though, is this all right to do ?
I didn't create a time bomb?

most likely ,ill go grab a picture of it (or, of where it should be)

I guess I cant tell where it is supposed to be, but here is a picture of the motor, and the wires I think should go there

now, could I just find the proper part, install it and have slow wiper speed again?

looks like I'm just missing a ballast resistor then

anyone any idea what type/voltage/whatever spec I need ?

so I found the old one from the ignition system...plugged it in, and everything is peachy

turns nice and slow

am I all set, or did I just get it set up to burn down?

If you find yourself in need of one again and all you got locally is autobone, duralast #AL795 works for either. $4.96.

Thanks for the info skizzo

So, your saying it IS the same part used both for the ignition AND the wipers?

It crossed in whatever manual was ref'd, and they both bench tested the same. The OEM has a little wider body, like maybe 1/4", bracketry is the same.

If you look at the link that I provided under the picture in my other post, they ignition resistor is about 10 ohms and the one on the wiper was 1 ohm...

I'm not enough of an electrical expert to tell you if it will burn it up or not...

Dang, I'm going off my car and the AZ manual. It's possible wiper bwllast was replaced by the PO, mine tested the same as the duralast. I've been running the duralast ones for about 4k miles, I am no electrical person at all.

Just for easy reference for everyone, I copied this from my other post in the wiper thread:
The resistance across the resistor for the wiper motor I'm getting 0.15 ohms...

The ignition ballast is just under 1 ohm...

Both readings takes with all wires disconnected...

thanks for all the help guys

so, the two resistors are not the same

I guess I don't know enough about electronics to know if it makes a difference or not

Just for easy reference for everyone, I copied this from my other post in the wiper thread:
The resistance across the resistor for the wiper motor I'm getting 0.15 ohms...

The ignition ballast is just under 1 ohm...

Both readings takes with all wires disconnected...

Just checked mine, I've got 1.3 ign, and 1.1 wiper. I was gonna throw my tailpipes on but now I'm printing out schematics lol. And icing at least a sixxer.
Edit: Found my OEM wiper ballast, tested 1.0

Very hard to measure 1 ohm accurately with a DMM. Certainly short the leads first and subtract that reading. I think the resistor is just in series w/ the wiper motor in the low-speed switch setting. So depends on how slow you want low to be. But, don't add so much resistance that you stall the motor since DC motor windings typically melt if the motor stalls.

Ballast resistors are designed differently and work differently than normal resistors. The ballast will heat up and actually increase resistance; the correct Mopar ignition ballast will increase from 0.6 ohms cold to the 2-3 ohm range when hot. A normal resistor's resistance will stay pretty steady with heating.

So using a ballast resistor where a normal resistor is used may result in too low a voltage to the wiper motor. Running a DC motor too slow for too long may result in excessive heat.

-
Back