ballast resistor

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
hey guys, i have been installing my ez wiring aftermarket harness and i noticed they dont show to wire in the ballast resistor with the old points style ignition. but in the electronic ignition section they show it. i am running a pertronix ignition kit and it shows to still use the ballast resistor. so i am a little confused. i am going to give them a call tomorrow, but i just thought someone may have run into this before.

i am running a pertronix ignition kit and it shows to still use the ballast resistor.

That's the one you need to listen to. The original Ignitor is limited in how much current it can run and needs a ballast resistor unless you are running a coil designed explicitly to work with the Ignitor and without a ballast resistor (or have managed to find one that you know will do this by careful electrical measurements).

The Pertronix coils are internally resisted. Call them to see if it will work with your application. Internally resisted coils don't use ballast resistors.

hey guys, i have been installing my ez wiring aftermarket harness and i noticed they dont show to wire in the ballast resistor with the old points style ignition. but in the electronic ignition section they show it. i am running a pertronix ignition kit and it shows to still use the ballast resistor. so i am a little confused. i am going to give them a call tomorrow, but i just thought someone may have run into this before.

I think what you are saying is that the wiring diagram for the EZ Wiring doesn't show the correct way to wire in the resistor. In their wiring kits they show a single wire, pink if I remember correctly, that is for the coil. This wire would go to the ignition (run) side of the ignition switch (if you are using the old MOPAR stuff) and to the hot side of the resistor. They don't show a wire for the start side so here is the fix. On the starter relay, run a wire to the coil side of the resistor and somewhere in that line place a cheap Radio Shack diode. This will allow the 12V on the start side and then kick back to the 6-8V on the run side. The diode is to keep voltage from backflowing thru the wire and engaging the starter relay... I looked at all of that then said crap on it and put a Jeep Cherokee tilt column in and wired it as per a GM setup. A lot easier....

Larry

hmmm there has got to be a better way. guess i am going to have to make some calls tomorrow. there has to be someone who has wired a mopar ignition switch with this kit.

SS,

What Petronix kit are you using?

-
Back