ballooned oil filter

-

3404spdfish

Reaction score
ok so I just picked up a 66 dart with a 273 auto column shift, it's been sitting since 1987. so I dumped the oil, new filter, hooked a hose to fuel pump and went for broke and see if it would start, low and behold it started. ran ok for sitting so long. anyway the oil filter ballooned up and leaks at the oil filter gasket. I see one of 2 things. 1 the 90 degree adapter bolt was over tightened pinched oils supply holes in the bolt and slowed oil flow to the point it backs up, 2 the crank bearing that is associated with oil supply spun and blocked off oil supply. anybody ever have a ballooned oil filter before.

I think you have a problem with the oil pressure relief valve. Stuck shut would be my guess. Hook up a gauge to it you can read psi from.

Ballooned filter is from too high of pressure...

The 90° oil filter adapters are known to leak at high mileage...

drain the oil. leave the oil filter on. put 1 gallon of diesel fuel in it. let it idle for 30 seconds. drain the diesel back out and put new oil (5w-30) and filter and see what it does. relief valve could just be sticky from not running in a very long time. If the filter you took off wasn't ballooned, that tells you it wasn't sticking when it was parked

the balloon didn't pop but it sure spring a leak, I will give it a try and get back with you guys next week.

-
Back