Band adjust with unknown parts ?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I know the factory recommended procedure but what if you are not sure if it has a shift kit or different bands ?

Then is the snug both then loosed till output shaft turns both directions method be best ?
Transgo recommends this technic ....

It is amazing how many methods and number of turns technics are on the net ! Each one stating their method is best !

I can get the driveshaft to rotate in both directions with 2.5 turns on both bands . Should I be ok ?

I know the factory recommended procedure but what if you are not sure if it has a shift kit or different bands ?

Then is the snug both then loosed till output shaft turns both directions method be best ?

It is amazing how many methods and number of turns technics are on the net ! Each one stating their method is best !

I can get the driveshaft to rotate in both directions with 2.5 turns on both bands . Should I be ok ?
Adjust them as you would with specs for your transmission.it’s 72in pounds then what ever the spec is ...

Adjust them as you would with specs for your transmission.it’s 72in pounds then what ever the spec is ...

That is the point... what are the specs for varying bands/ lever ratios etc ?

Usually for the 727 is 72 inch pounds tight and back off 2 turns for both bands.
Over the years they did change, some 2 1/2 turns intermediate band. Low& reverse band as much as 4 but I think that may be for the 904.
I never had a problem with the 2 turns in many years doing this on modified,shift kit, manual valve bodies ETC.

Preliminary adjustment;
If yur taking the pan off then set the L/R band to ~1/4 inch clearance,lever tip to the servo plunger tip, with a screwdriver lifting the lever off the plunger. I don't care much about what the book says, this always works. Those servos have IDK guessing more than 1/2inch travel, so putting the band adjust into the window is all you gotta do.
I set the KD the same way.
The trick is not to lever thechit out of the bands, cuz they will "stretch" a long ways. When it stops with modest pressure, then yur done.
Afterwards;
Now, with a very small wrench, go snug the screws to zero, counting the turns as you go. Whatever turns you counted, put them back in.You know your snug-meter, so from now on, that's what you do.
There is only a minor amount of tuning you can do with band adjustment, so....... for a streeter; just set it and forget it.
2.5 turns will be fine; it ain't rocket science, you bet,lol.

Back in the late 70s/early 80s I worked in a driveline repair shop on the standard transmission and rear-end line. There were three lines running parallel; the standard in the center and autos to my left and TCs to the right. I worked there nearly 6 years. I got pretty good at it and could more or less do my job blindfolded. So I got to watching the guys in the other lines. And that is how the auto guys did it, except the shoved a spacer in there, and tightened the screw until the plunger began to drop down, and that was that..

Last edited:
I have both to 2.5 turns out from 72 in lbs now . I will run it thru the gears lighly while in the air. See what happens.

Is this a 727? 2 urns on the rear band. SomeTimes I only go 1 3/4 on the rear band for totally stock and a grandma driver. Otherwise if u have more clearance if will slam into reverse. Front band is generally 2 1/4 turns. Kim

Is this a 727? 2 urns on the rear band. SomeTimes I only go 1 3/4 on the rear band for totally stock and a grandma driver. Otherwise if u have more clearance if will slam into reverse. Front band is generally 2 1/4 turns. Kim
sorry ... 904

-
Back