Barracuda Owners Need your help

-

boosted

Life Needs Air
Reaction score
I am thinking about letting my slower dart go on a trade for a 66 barracuda.

What all do I need to look out for on this model year car? What are the hard to get and expensive parts to look out for?

Just want to make sure I get a good car and I don't know much about these.

Thanks..

Car is not stock for drive train so I am really looking for cosmetic and body wise stuff.

Well Boosted, since you singled out the 66 Cuda as your car of choice, I think I can help...

The 66 has many unique, one year only body parts that should be in good condition on your car in question. They have a one year only front clip, rear bumper and lower body line that makes finding replacement parts much harder to find. True, there are some nice parts for sale on FABO right now for this particular year, but that is not usually the case. The front bumpers, grille, bezels and mounting supports are unique, the fender mounted turn signals are one year only, as is a bunch of the interior. The 66 Cuda dash is unique, and IMO the best looking cluster of any early A. All of the dash trim is unique as are the front bucket seat trim and back panels. Out back, taillights and the aforementioned bumper are unique as well!!

There are also some items from early A cars that are commonly hard to find. Things such as the drivers side underdash vent box with a good unbroken door hinge, front door armrest bases and pads, kick panels and other items are hard to find in any condition, although a few items are now being repopped.

Look for rust in the inner fender area, all the frame rails and rear spring perches, and other common areas such as lower rear qtrs, which are not currently being reproduced, and with limited demand, are not being saved by the 2nd hand crowd...aka...US!!!

All in all, the 66 is a great choice for a unique car that you won't often see, but again, I may be a little biased!! It seems to be the year I am most fond of for some reason!!! Good luck with your search!! Geof

I am thinking about letting my slower dart go on a trade for a 66 barracuda.

What all do I need to look out for on this model year car? What are the hard to get and expensive parts to look out for?

Just want to make sure I get a good car and I don't know much about these.

Thanks..

Car is not stock for drive train so I am really looking for cosmetic and body wise stuff.

From inside the car shine a flashlight up and look at the cowl around the vent boxes for rust and holes. Where the rear of the leaf springs mount check there for rust at the mounts. Torsion bar crossmember is another rust area. The 66 is a one year only front and rear so if you are missing grille taillight pieces etc. it can be hard to find. Most of the hard parts interchange with 64-66 Cudas.

I just got these two pictures.. As more come in I will post them.. See anything that stands out?

I am not looking for a 100 point done car.. Just a very good start...

Attachments

• IMG00083-20110816-1658.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG00086-20110816-1700.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 324
Looks like a pretty good start to me!!! I do see that there are no wheel lip mouldings or rocker mouldings on it, both which should be there. Once again, 66 only items, but not hard to find!! Also, maybe it's just down, but the antenna may be missing or broken. Looks to be a pretty solid car, and if the price is right, I'd bite!! Something around $2,500.00 would be a good place to be on it if it checks out!! Like to see more pics when they come in!! Geof

wow 2500? The guy is talking trade for my slow dart.. This one..

Attachments

• Columbus-20120826-00063 (Large).jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Columbus-20120826-00066 (Large).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 296
Your Dart seems to be quite a bit nicer, more finished, than that Barracuda. Don't know about an even-up trade. It looks to me as though you have considerably more money wrapped up in your dart than that Barracuda is worth as-is. The Barracuda looks like a solid starting point to work up to the condition of your Dart. If the cuda is something you really want, I would consider asking for some cash to go along with the Dart. I think an even trade would be a considerable loss on your part. Just my two cents based on observation.

2nd generation Darts are MUCH more desireable than 66 Cudas ever will be, by the "crowd" anyway!! If a trade is going to happen,, you may come out on the losing end money wise, unless the 66 is REALLY what you want.

Check out this recent ad for a car I sold. I have had my share of 66's and I can get pretty close in price based on proper info and pics!! IMO, you car will always be worth more $$$ than a 66 Cuda, if $$ is where you place the value of a car!! Good luck with your decision, either way it's win/win IMO!! Geof

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=185650

Yup he would need to throw a pretty good chunk of cash at you with the trade or you will never get close to breaking even. Hate to see you lose that much money because of a trade.

No way you trade that dart for the cuda straight up. I like the cuda's as I used to have the one cosgig sold, but any 67-69 dart is worth considerably more than the 64-66 cudas. You should be able to find a suitable candidate 67-69 cuda for a close trade. I may be a little biased on the 69's:supz:

I'd hold out for a 67'-69'. The advantage to the early "A's" in the slightly lighter weight. I personally like the looks of the early Valiant and Dart over the Cuda......Not that there's any thing wrong with that.....lol.

is that really painted on your garage door!!! COOL!!!

I'd trade that 66 b-cuda for your dart any day, I've got a 66 valiant post in Kansas-- Lawrence

Your Dart seems to be quite a bit nicer, more finished, than that Barracuda. Don't know about an even-up trade. It looks to me as though you have considerably more money wrapped up in your dart than that Barracuda is worth as-is. The Barracuda looks like a solid starting point to work up to the condition of your Dart. If the cuda is something you really want, I would consider asking for some cash to go along with the Dart. I think an even trade would be a considerable loss on your part. Just my two cents based on observation.

Considerable loss is putting it nicely. As much as I love my Signet, I'd have no qualms in trading you for your dart any day of the week, based on the pictures. Either keep the Dart, or ask for a few grand in addition to your Dart in trade. Unless that 'Cuda has something we don't know about, then the the other guy is coming out way ahead in the deal.

-
Back