Barrett bidders have sh** for brains

-
If you agree or not with a 100 point restoration as worth while, its all in the details. So much of the cost in getting that last 5% perfect is so expensive and that is what some repeat some of those hi dollar cars are. Been to that rodeo one time with a Jaguar XK-120. NEVER AGAIN. Was recently at a NCRS meet and I swear they had a glove box judge!! Some people are just willing to pay for that kind of quality. Like a fine peace of jewelry I guess.

i've watched barrett-jackson and mecum for each of their auctions for the last 5 years. it is clear to me that if you are a buyer, you want to go to mecum; if you are a seller, you'll get more money at barrett-jackson. the rest of the auctions are (in my opinion) just for "rich people who want to play with cars and have more money than brains." a good show to watch (if you can stand it, which most of the time, i can't) is "Chasing Classic Cars" with "Wayne Carini." Wayne is the kind of guy you would never want to have a beer with. in fact, i doubt if Wayne even drinks beer - i suspect he's a "champagne only" kind of guy. Carini goes to all the "big money" auctions. most of these auctions are for exotic, rare or "million dollar" cars. ever once in a while, there's a "regular" car sold at these auctions - like camaros or mustangs. usually, "American Muscle" does not bring highest dollar at the specialty auctions. as to Barrett-Jackson, i've never figured out WHY people are willing to pay so much more for their cars than at a Mecum sale. the last two Mecum sales have had several excellent cars sell for less than you can restore them on your own. for $20-$35k, you can come home with a really nice car at Mecum.

i have 4 barracudas - 2 68's and 2 69's. i bought one 68 off of FABO and the other three on Ebay. i just finalized a deal for a 69 M-Code barracuda in very nice condition without motor and trans for $15k. i don't think the best deals are at the auctions. i'm convinced that if you want a muscle or collector car, searching craig's list, FABO, Ebay or some of the many other on-line listings is the way to go.

What I get out of Barrett /Jackson is who keeps their cars and whos tired of them . Not many mopars this year meaning we are hanging on to what we like. It was a Chevy show and I choked on a lot of the bids. Mopars were down played. I didn't get to see what the three 70 cuda's went for.
That's because Mecum was in Florida the same weekend and had made the agreement with the Wellborn Museum to auction their cars. All the Mopar bidders were in Florida.

friend spent 5-6 years making a 69 ( slant) dart into a big block car. he is a pro mechanic, went thru it all mechanically, sent it to good bodyshop for body/paint ( no I'm sure it didn't cost 6 grand). sent out to have legendary int done. he had worked on it so much and spent so much, he really had tired of it. ready for another project maybe. had use for the $$$ elsewhere. I was impressed he got $20 grand for it, another buyer in the wings wanting it, just word of mouth, no internet ads, no CL, no auctions, NO FABO telling him it is not worth squat! LOL

like I told him, it was well worth the price, but i really didn't think it would bring that. wouldn't take that many more $$$ to have same quality car in a real 383 67-9 A Body. but the buyer wanted a nice car to DRIVE, occasionally take to the strip. he got that. he knew the seller built this car for himself, not to flip, and it was well done. stock appearance, more power added to engine, wildwood brakes front and back, aluminum rad, etc.

I look up today price of Glen-Rad. MOAR licensed repop. $1100, add another $60 for a date. champion alum, is $170 ( 15% sales price). for the guy building a correct original car worth some $$$$, I guess $1100 in not a poop in the puddle, but for the rest of us, well.............

-
Back