Bass Guitars

-
Old Alvarez/Yairi acoustics are very good guitars. I havent heard much about their modern solid guitars or basses. I just sold a really rare 1988 PRS bass to a guy in Scotland. That bass didn`t have a bad sound in it, but I`m a guitar player and cleaning house so it had to go. I like the Stingray basses by Music Man for bang for the buck. Guitars/basses or musical instruments in general are a "get what you pay for acquisition" so buy according to use.

Theres a lot of great lower cost instruments out now. Actually a lot of the lower cost one are better then the top of the line instruments from 10 years ago. I just about ready to drop a large amount of cash on a Warwick Corvette bass when I tried the Ibanez out and ended up buying a new Ibanez 4 string and a used 5 string for less then a used Warwick.

I also have a Schector C1 guitar that was a great deal at $450 new. Rosewood fret board Mahogany body and Semour Duncon pickups. Plays and sounds great.

Bought my first Amp, 1956, it was a Carvin. Had Fenders guitars, Gibsons, plus some imports. I now play a knockoff made in Korea, (Xaviere). I look for tone, I don't care who makes it. Guitar selection is very personal, kinda like selecting the car you want to build. I still own a couple of American made guitars, for investment purposes. Howard

Victor is from my hometown and when I was much younger I had a chance to meet Victor and watch him play. I went with a bass player friend of mine to another friends house one evening. I asked him if we should bring our gear and he said "NO, YOU WON`T WANT TO". Well after meeting Victor and watching him play The Star Spangled Banner in harmonics I almost decided to sell my sh*t. He`s a hell of a nice guy and one bad *** bass player whether it`s with his brother or Bela Fleck.

Here is my collection.. I play every now and then.. My bass is a Rogue, plays well for a $180 5 string bass.

toyz (2).JPG

I look for tone, I don't care who makes it. Guitar selection is very personal, kinda like selecting the car you want to build. I still own a couple of American made guitars, for investment purposes. Howard[/QUOTE]

Man thats the truth,I have a squire guitar thats sounds better than most high end fenders,its all about the wood and its all luck of the draw,I like to pick up alot of guitars before I buy.I play a peavy grind and man its a really nice bass for the money,I love the sound and its a bit bigger/fuller in size than the ibanez which is nice for me since Im tall and have long arms.Music and cars have always gone hand in hand,wether its the tunes on the radio or playing music and getting the high that a mean machine will give you.

JLP is that a 76 Explorer in the middle there not facing the camera or is it one of the reissue models? My brother has a 76 that is cherry sunburst, I love that guitar. I like it because it has that really cool shape that is not too far over the top like some brands went to in the early 80's with the hair metal bands. Nice collection though, yours too Adam.

Vic Wooten is magic on the bass, if we are going to name amazing bass players though we have to mention Stanley Clarke. He is pure genius!!

Rich

Yeah... I have a few too.

GRM078-vi.jpg

From the left is my Honer Acoustic, my Carlo Robelli and Yamaha RBX-550 fretless that I sold, my American Fender Precision, my Yamaha RBX-775 five string, and in my hands is my Schecter Stilleto Studio 8 string.
Picture062-vi.jpg

This is the fire power: Gallien-Krueger RB1001-II power amp (780 watts) with a G-K SBXPlus 4 X10" 800 watt cabinet, and a Carvin single 18" cabinet that also holds 800 watts. Everything is 4 ohm and believe me, I can make nails back out of the walls.....

Mike, check out the Schecters. Great guitar for the money!

The Problem with Carvin is you really cant try them out. You can only get them direct from Carvin. I had some Carvin cabinets that were pretty nice and a few friends had amps. I just cant see dropping all that money on something you cant try first.

Adam, I have never heard of anyone that was disappointed with a Carvin.

I still like your American Fender Precision bass FASTBACK340!!
My first to learn on and and first one to own,:grin:

I was waiting to see your collection again here:thumblef:

Vic Wooten is magic on the bass, if we are going to name amazing bass players though we have to mention Stanley Clarke. He is pure genius!!

Rich

Stanley I've seen several times. The most recent was from the front row at the IMAC theater in Huntington, Long Island.
Picture002-vi.jpg

Picture001-vi.jpg

Picture014-vi.jpg

He came out and did a solo piece on a stand up bass that was un-freakin-believeable! Chords...tapping...slapping....harmonics.... and lightning fast runs. I went home that night and wondered how long it would take for all my guitars to burn into oblivion.....

But NO ONE can lay down a groove like the master: Jaco
RW6_jpg2-vi.jpg

This was taken at the Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood, Ca.

I agree on the Ibanez. I have Spector, Washburn, Peavey and Ibanez basses. Ibanez is one of the best values in quality and features for the price.

yeah. arent they awesome songs? i was thinking about getting the book

I had read The Dirt, the Motley Crue diaries, and figured that the Herion Diaries would be a good read too. I was at Barnes & Noble with the wife and I looked at it. The type set is HUGE and there's drawings and the dialog goes something like this:

Tues: I woke up and ate Corn Flakes. Then I shot up...

Wed: I woke up. I whacked-off. Then I shot Herion....

All for 30-odd dollars... I'll wait until it hits the discount rack. :thumbdow:

But the album is pretty good!

I'll let you know how it is. My brother bought it for Michelle for Christmas, LOL

OK, me too. Here's the core of my arsenal:

'73 Marshall MKII Super Lead 100W point-to-point head and a '73 1982 120W cabinet with it's
original Celestion G12 H's. Bought new together and I bought them from the original owner in '77.

I also have an '83 Carvin XV-212 that I use for its AWESOME clean channel and some more Fender-like tone (it is an early one with 6L6GC's in the power section).

'78 Les Paul Custom bought new, added DiMarzio Super Distortion and PAF in '79.

'86 Vintage Series '62 Strat bought new.

I also have a '57 Danelectro/Silvertone U2, an '06 Martin 000CX-1E, a '79 Yamaha FG-512,
an '00 Yamaha CG-130SA classical, a Roland GM-70/GK-1 synth connected to an Oberheim
Matrix 6R, and a buttload of vintage pedals including some of the big old Morleys, etc.

-
Back