Battery operated tools

-

Big Dad

Reaction score
I bought EGO string trimmer / Leaf blower combo on deal from ACE , they just went past their warranty. and already one charger and one battery died in the last week

Maybe I should get the tin foil hat on a bit tighter , 2nd time this happened 1st time it was Home Depot branded stuff.

I don't own any battery powered lawn equipment but if I did I would buy stihl products. I have a gas powered weed eater and 2 chain saws and all of them are stihl. I don't like the idea of having to be sure all of the time that the batteries are charged up and ready to go. My gas powered tools are ready at all times.

I bought EGO string trimmer / Leaf blower combo on deal from ACE , they just went past their warranty. and already one charger and one battery died in the last week

Maybe I should get the tin foil hat on a bit tighter , 2nd time this happened 1st time it was Home Depot branded stuff.
That sucks. I have owned Worx GT tools for many years (many, probably 10 or more) and I am on the original batteries, chargers, and tools.

That sucks. I have owned Worx GT tools for many years (many, probably 10 or more) and I am on the original batteries, chargers, and tools.
That's awesome that you got that good of service from the batteries. My john deere lawnmowers battery lasted 10 years, I think what helps is I keep it tuned up and I bring in the battery every winter

The Milwaukee weed eater I bought uses their M18 batteries.
For light duty stuff, it works fine. When I have been more aggressive, it conks out from overheating. The drive motor can't handle constant work like a gas/oil 2 stroke can. Changing batteries does not make a difference, the damn thing just shuts off and won't start working until it cools off.
Yeah....and the dipshits at the Capital made THIS CRAP the default since by the end of 2023, you can't buy any gas powered tools in this state!

For light duty stuff, it works fine. When I have been more aggressive, it conks out from overheating. The drive motor can't handle constant work like a gas/oil 2 stroke can. Changing batteries does not make a difference, the damn thing just shuts off and won't start working until it cools off.
Yeah....and the dipshits at the Capital made THIS CRAP the default since by the end of 2023, you can't buy any gas powered tools in this state!
How do you cut your grass? I don't know of any electric riding mower's.

How do you cut your grass? I don't know of any electric riding mower's.

My neighbor has this one, it's so strange to see him cutting the grass but not hear anything.

80V HP BRUSHLESS 42" BATTERY CORDLESS ELECTRIC... - RYOBI Tools

They have a zero turn version as well.

All of my cordless tools are Ryobi, some are even the blue ones from ~20 years ago when they first came out. They all still work, the ones I use harder than others are showing wear, but for home use, they are perfect for the cost. The battery life is still very good on my 10+ year old batteries with them.

f43f020a603741f1abede2e80a1ce242.png

I use DeWalt battery pushmower, string trimmer, and just about all my hand tools (drill, circular saw, etc). Have had great luck with all of them, but two things; 1. Have to get a big enough battery for the circular saw; 2. I turn over my push mower and scrape the clippings when I finish mowing...not sure what's up, but it clings inside the deck, so I fear it'll rust out early. And, same on the the sound...when I cut my grass, it sounds like I'm pushing a window box fan across my yard!

I've read that the mining of the raw materials creates more pollution than a gas powered engine.

I remember when California put a ban on the charging of all EV'S because the power grids couldn't keep up with the demand of electricity for every day living. This battery powered everything is just a fad. I think that it won't be as popular as some would like it to be. EV are not practical

I've had a battery-powered DeWalt sawzall for many years and loved it. However, even with extra batteries on the sidelines, I can outrun them while cutting branches up. I am not impressed with the life span of their batteries and man, they ain't cheap either. I bought a new HD Milwaukee 110v cord type and called it a day. I thought my battery DeWalt was cool but this Milwaukee is badass and has tons more power and no more work stoppages, waiting for batteries to get charged up. Oh yeah, and if those batteries were a little too hot, they wouldn't allow it to be charged for another 10 or 15 minutes. Done.

I don't think battery operated tools are a fad. I have cordless and corded, and I honestly can't remember when I last used the corded version of any of them. Same with my impact, I haven't fired up my compressor for anything but filling tires, my cordless impact removes every nut/bolt I've tried so far.

I prefer plug in weed wackers / trimmers etc … 2 stroke lawn tools are a yearly carb rebuild and battery powered ones piss me off due to the cost of replacement battery . But my yard is small and my cords are long .

Every time I drag out the extension cord, I like cordless stuff. When I hassle with my riding mower or pressure washer for gas,.oil, can't start it for new plugs or choke or need to go get gas, or want to do it early so as not to bug the neighbors
..I wish for cordless. When the batteries are dead, I wish for gas or plug-in. All that being said, cordless tools and electric cars are a fad like 'horseless carriages' were...I'm not buying an electric car (I've ridden in a couple, and they nauseate me, that doesn't happen with a internal combustion vehicle), but they're probably here to stay.

I use my Milwaukee stuff daily, and yes, I abuse the heck out of them. Sometimes the screw gun gets so hot I can’t touch it, I just let it cool down and keep on truckin. I won’t buy any other brand, oartly because I have a lot of Milwaukee batteries.

That's why I'm DeWalt...started/impressed with their electric miter saw, then went cordless. The first (drill) was dependable, worked well, and as the electric tools died/needed replaced over the last few years, I didn't want 8 different incompatible batteries/chargers!

I might tryMilwaukee next. Dewalt left me a little dry. Ryobi didn’t do it for me. Makita worked good for me. It’s probably hit and miss with all of those batteries. I won’t buy another battery powered saws-all. Those things suck up a lot of juice fast.

That's awesome that you got that good of service from the batteries. My john deere lawnmowers battery lasted 10 years, I think what helps is I keep it tuned up and I bring in the battery every winter
Wow, I can barely get a year out of lawn tractor batteries. I bring it in in the winter too And on a charger. 10 years is amazing.

They've not outlawed air power yet.

Wow, I can barely get a year out of lawn tractor batteries. I bring it in in the winter too And on a charger. 10 years is amazing.
I just had to replace one that had a November 2022 date code on it. It was an OReilly brand. 90 day warranty. Tractor Supply sells them with a 6 month warranty. That's where I'm getting the next one. For what they cost, they should have a year warranty at least.

I just had to replace one that had a November 2022 date code on it. It was an OReilly brand. 90 day warranty. Tractor Supply sells them with a 6 month warranty. That's where I'm getting the next one. For what they cost, they should have a year warranty at least.
Fugit. I dont even try anymore. Just buy a new one every spring. Air powered weed eaters? :poke:

I was impressed myself, everyone that I talked to about it said that it's amazing. I bought a new battery at batteries plus, it's a die hard

was a mechanic for almost 50 years. used snap on battery 3/8 impact when they 1st came out. still have 2 of them. i buy ridgid mostly now, as they have a life time warranty on batteries and tools. i have 4 milwaukee battery rachets ,2 1/4 and 2 3/8. also have kobalt blower, trimmer and 1/2 inch impact. when my worx stuff quit, i just moved to different stuff. worx weed whacker was a great tool. still have b&d and craftsman stuff also.

-
Back