Battery relocation

-

BBBCUDA

Reaction score
I have a question for you guys with relocated batteries: when you relocate to the trunk, is it mandatory that the battery be in a box? I bought a relocation kit, and I would just as soon not run the cheesy plastic box it came with, not to mention it's a bit cramped in the trunk already with the cell. Much appreciated.

the battery in my dad's charger just sits on a tray in the trunk, no box of any kind, mind you thats not nessecarily correct lol. we'll put it this way it was done that way 20 years ago and nothing has gone wrong so i guess its not totally critical, probably a good idea though

Ventilated box, or firewall.
I'm installing a metal firewall between the trunk and interior to keep the cell and battery seperated, so I should be good without a box then, correct? Thanks.

Build it according to NHRA's requirements. Even if you don't race it, it'll have more resale value.

it must be bolted to the floor with at least two 3/8" bolts with large washers on each side of the floor and have a 1/4" strap over the top across the battery between the bolts. you also will need a cut-off switch mounted on the back of your hotrod with "OFF clearly marked and wired into the positive cable. there needs to be a bulkhead between the battery/fuel cell of metal or have your back seat in place. 3/8" all-thread works great with a nyloc nut and large washer on each side of the floor instead of the bolts.

Thank you gentlemen, the bulkhead should go in this week, and I have all the hardware to mount it without using the box. I have the cutoff switch also, but had planned on putting it on the negative side. Thanks for specifying it needs to be on the positive side.

-
Back