Bayonet shifter - won't give!

-

Duster_Dean

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I read that to remove a bayonet shifter, a .01" feeler guage works. I've been trying for a while now and the guage gets in about 1/4 inch and then stops. Attempts to push it further results in the guage bending from the force required. At this depth I've pulled and yanked and cursed up a storm but it's not budging.
I've used penatrating oil to help but still no difference.

Can someone tell me how far down the guage needs to go to push in the retainer to free the handle? Is the 1/4 inch enough and it's just stuck? Or do I need to use something stronger, to shove it deeper, along the shifter?

I am doing this on the drivers side and am sliding the guage down against the shifter itself, so I believe from all I've read that is the spot.
Any advice is welcomed, as this thing is kicking my butt!
TIA

Use a thicker gauge if you can. Keep playing with it, that's how you do it. I don't have a lever in front of me, are you in the correct side? Lube it?

Crude 418 thanks.
All the posts I've seen say the indent is on the drivers side and the new lever I just bought from Brewers has the detent on the drivers side.
I'll try a larger guage as going smaller doesn't work (tried that already).
I'll go as big as I can.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks

Also, try pushing straight down on the shifter handle when inserting the feeler gauge, then up, wiggle, up and down. You do have to work it in there. I just checked mine, the tang that you are trying to push back isn't much thicker than the feeler gauge that you are using. May help to not push the feeler gauge in vertically, clock it a little to widen your spread. You may not definitely feel the release, keep working both the feeler gauge in and up and down with the handle.

20240418_205235.jpg

Spray some pb blaster on the joint the night before and allow to sit over night.
Dirt and rust sometimes make it “feel” impossible to work.

SUCCESS!
Follow-up on shifter - took all the suggestions of using one size larger feeler guage, .011, and soaking with PB overnight. Had my son help (who's alot stronger than me!) and by pulling the shifter to the passengers side really hard allowed the guage to get deeper, first pushing down and then up, we were finally able to release the Hurst shifter. The new shifter from Brewers which is meant for a bench seat a-body is effin perfect! Shorter handle = shorter throw and the handle does not even touch the seat in 2nd and 4th gears now which was my main problem.

Thanks to all for your advice.
I'll be listing the removed pistol grip Hurst shifter soon with pics and the part number. It's supposed to be for a B-body so folks here may not want it, but then again....

Oh someone will want it. Some people here think they are so cool. The Road Runner that I bought last year has a pistol grip in it, haven't driven it yet, don't know if it will stay or go yet. Glad that you got it out!

-
Back