BB Swap and column shift linkage

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
All right guys I need a few ideas. I swapped a 383 in place of the old slant and kept the column shift. I used trans dapts conversion mounts and Schumcher headers. I have a slight clearance issue with the shift linkage hitting the header when trying to shift into anything lower than drive. I drilled a new hole in the bar that points straight to the ground to gain a little clearance but still cant shift any lower than 2nd gear and now my pointer doesnt line up with the pattern on the column which bugs me. Any of you gurus found a way around this problem?

All right guys I need a few ideas. I swapped a 383 in place of the old slant and kept the column shift. I used trans dapts conversion mounts and Schumcher headers. I have a slight clearance issue with the shift linkage hitting the header when trying to shift into anything lower than drive. I drilled a new hole in the bar that points straight to the ground to gain a little clearance but still cant shift any lower than 2nd gear and now my pointer doesnt line up with the pattern on the column which bugs me. Any of you gurus found a way around this problem?
Either go with Schumacher conversion mount mounts...do not know about trans dapts mounts or go with a cable shifter...check my thread...My Recent 440 Build for my 68 Dodge Dart in Members Restorations...go to page three or four and look at my B&W unimatic cable shifter...

Near as I can tell the only difference b/w the two mounts was the clearance for the oil pump. Did you keep your column shift and just buy a cable?

Near as I can tell the only difference b/w the two mounts was the clearance for the oil pump. Did you keep your column shift and just buy a cable?
It may also change the side to side geometry also...Check out my thread and read through it entirely when you get more time..it will show you the ins and outs that I suffered through....this is the measurements that I got from Micheal Shumacher himself...

The height is measured from the centerline of the crank to the top of the K-member @ 5.25"
(+/- .188) Side to side is approximately 2.75" offset toward the passenger side. Take a measurement from the driver side inner frame rail to the center of the crank - you should get 16.125". (+/- .125)

-
Back