BBD big bore 2 barrel carb help

-

440dreamer

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the sight and actually a B body owner but I came across some threads here that led me to think i could get some help.

I have a all stock 361 with what appears to be a rare BBD big bore 2 barrel carb. I can start my car fine but once is warms up and I kick the idle down it stalls. It seems that the idle fuel circuit is plugged or not feeding fuel to the bores. I have removed the carb to rebuild it but thought I'd ask for some direction and recommendations first.

the only help I have is from an old shop manual.

Here is a thread about the same carb.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=190070

Attachments

• 20150908_192528.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 20150915_194253.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20150915_194259.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 152
The float bowl has to see atmospheric air any time the engine is running .Atmospheric air pressure is what makes the carb work. No bowl pressure means no worky

During the warm up period, and on fast-idle, the low speed circuit is the active circuit.
You can see the mechanical bowl vent activated by the accelerator pump arm. Perhaps when you kick the fast-idle off, the vent slams shut.

Maybe, but you said yourself it runs fine until you kick it down. Check/adjust the bowl vent and see what's what.
I'm not saying the low speed circuit is 100%. Can't know that until it idles and transitions ok

If the throttle shaft isn't worn out you should be able to kit it and make it like new. Those carbs work good when they are working good.

.............their a good carb...have u checked for any vacuum leaks, rotted hoses are everywhere....possibly base gasket....kim....

That really is not a rare carb, but they aren't around much anymore. One of the issues that carb has is the air cleaner stud is threaded into the air horn instead of the main body. If the air cleaner nut is tightened too far it will distort the air horn and cause idle issues as well as choke blade opening issues. Another issue many of those big cars had is blowing the cap off the fitting on the brake booster.

So the carb is in my basement and the car is in storage. I live in Michigan where classics hibernated. I stored it and removed the carb with plans of rebuilding it.

Before removing it I checked hoses and replaced them all. The carb gasket needs replaced. To get the car to storage I wire tied the fast idle cam locked into its lowest setting. I needed a bit more leg force at lights but got it stored fine.

I think that while changing the internal gaskets and cleaning out passengers I may discover an irregularity. Not sure what to look for. I suspect most people discard this carb for a 4 barrel. Short term I plan to use it and want to drive the car.

Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks guys. Feeling very welcomed to the forum.

Clean out all of the passages real good with brake parts cleaner and blow them clear with a nozzle on an air compressor.

Tap the air cleaner stud with a hammer a couple of times and make sure the choke butterfly operates freely.

-
Back