Bearings?

-

Chained_360

Delusional Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm doing some brake work on my '68 Barracuda, and since the front drums are hubbed, I have to re-pack or replace the bearings (Yaaay!). I'm getting the feeling that I would be better off replacing them as the car has been sitting for ~15 years, but I'm not sure where to get bearings that will actually fit. Napa has quite a selection, but they all look slightly different from each other, so I just need help identifying the right bearings to purchase.

Check your old bearings first. Sitting does not hurt them so long as moisture didnt rust them.

I was going to take my car to the mechanic to have him do some brake work, and he wanted to completely rebuild the front hubs. I also looked at Napa and they do have a good selection of parts. In some cases you can buy just the bearing, and some bearings come with bearing cup. Then then may have two differerent grades with only a couple of bucks difference. It is confusing.

The cost for all these bearings, cups, seals, etc. is not very much. I think this is a good opportunity to replace these items on a 48-year old car. Take the old parts with you when you go to Napa.

Just remember the old bearings were made in America. New ones not so much.
that is gonna be the dealbreaker there. clean yours in the solvent tank & blow em dry & (1) good visual for wear (2) compress it slightly in your hands & see if it spins freely/smoothly/no rough spots (3) no excessive clearance between the cage/rollers etc (good visual/use your judgement there)

a good cleaning and close inspection as RR says.
..If they were well packed,you're probably o.k.

So I inspected the bearings this morning after cleaning them up, and, unfortunately, quite a few of the roller pins had bluing on them. i think I'm just gonna do a complete re-build of the front brakes and bearings :(

I have everything -- everything -- N.O.S. -- Asbestos Brakes included!!!!!!!!!!!!
and U.S.A. made components (NO wobble on the bearings -- CRITICAL -- the chinky
made are garbage...), etc., etc.
Treat yourself to the BEST -- it's not that expensive --
the choices are, because:
6 cylinder & 8 cylinder ARE different & of course,
Front Drum & Disc ARE different.....

I have EVERYTHING for every possible set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

-
Back