beater mini trucks, whats best?

-
Nobody mentioning Mazdas. I have no experience but I've heard they are very reliable.

For certain years, aren't they basically the same as a Ranger with different clothes?

Forgot about that. Probably right.

Running a pair of 93 rangers right now. Decent trucks, A4LD automatics are weak, (careful when towing!) 4.0 is preferable to the 3.0. Same gas mileage, but way more power with the 4.0.

Nobody mentioning Mazdas. I have no experience but I've heard they are very reliable.

Late model Mazda trucks are rebadged Fords. First time an American truck was rebadged as an import.

Dodge (Dakota) and Mitsu followed suit as did Chevy and Izusu

I have a 93 yota 22re 300,000 miles there is a reason they go for more money mine looks like crap but 3 or 4 people a day want to buy it.

awh cute little trucks ;) lol If I were gonna get a little one it would be a mid 90's dakota

Very hard to find a clean Toyota pick up at any price. Most you see selling are beat to ****.

I've bought a couple 10+ year old Ford Rangers from Ken Porter auctions that came from SDGE. they were pretty good little trucks with around 100,000 miles on them. Little dirty but cleaned up reasonably nice. They were right around your budget of $3,000 just have to be careful bidding as after tax, smog, license, and buyers premium you can be looking at 25 to 30 percent additional cost on top of your bid/hammer price.

I like these utility and city trucks as most have been well maintained during their lifetime.

Google ken porter auctions they have a auction every couple weeks down near Long Beach

I had a 92 Nissan hard body 4cyl 5 speed that I gave to my son in law and it is going strong with 275K miles. Before I retired two guys at work pestered me constantly to sell it to them. I now have a 2004 Frontier 4cyl auto with 50K miles with no issues. Nissan engines will not die as long as you do the maintenance. I had a 1984 Nissan Pathfinder 6cyl auto 4X4 with over 300K miles going strong when I got rid of it. I am sold on Nissan trucks.

man no one has said IMO the cool mini trucks a old datsun or rabbit pickup for mini trucks i would want one of those . but thats just cause i likem

My buddies mighty max was a good truck and could tow to beat the band! We called it mighty mouse

man no one has said IMO the cool mini trucks a old datsun or rabbit pickup for mini trucks i would want one of those . but thats just cause i likem

I had an 85 Nissan king cab with the z24 5 speed. Wicked looking trucks! I'd love to have one myself!

Very hard to find a clean Toyota pick up at any price. Most you see selling are beat to ****.

I've bought a couple 10+ year old Ford Rangers from Ken Porter auctions that came from SDGE. they were pretty good little trucks with around 100,000 miles on them. Little dirty but cleaned up reasonably nice. They were right around your budget of $3,000 just have to be careful bidding as after tax, smog, license, and buyers premium you can be looking at 25 to 30 percent additional cost on top of your bid/hammer price.

I like these utility and city trucks as most have been well maintained during their lifetime.

Google ken porter auctions they have a auction every couple weeks down near Long Beach

My coworker just bought one a few months ago. 22re/ 5speed and clean as a whistle! Paid $3k for it though. California truck

Have a Toyot a,since New.(85 model,carb.) 211,311 miles,rolled through smog,yesterday. Kind of become,that thing.Beat the daylights,as a kid. Still kickin!

Oh man, heaven help me...Im checking out a 81 Diesel VW caddy tomorrow. Rat rod black paint, slight lowered rake, green racing stripe and 45 mpg....My wife is gonna kill me.

My buddies mighty max was a good truck and could tow to beat the band! We called it mighty mouse

My neighbor had a mighty max, it was junk! I mean nowhere in the truck was a manufacture icon or name, as if they disowned it. Front end was scary, wheels were too small for the wheel well, 4 speed manual was a slush box and the thing would not rev past 2500 rpm for some reason. I think the distributor (carbed motor) was locked out or mechanicaly frozen. That truck turned me off of looking for a while. If tte VW falls through, I got a 82 Mazda B2000/Ford Courier like in the wings. Still a simple carbed 4 banger, should be reliable enough and EZ to limp home with a carb, if only itll pass smog. Good garage is selling it with lot of new parts, ie. front end, water pump, T-chain, tires. Ill let you guys know. Should be good for a few laughs whatever I decide to get. The courier looking truck is a dark silver with 15" shiny black stamped steel rims, chrome lug nuts and whitewall tires. looks like a rat-rod

My neighbor had a mighty max, it was junk! I mean nowhere in the truck was a manufacture icon or name, as if they disowned it. Front end was scary, wheels were too small for the wheel well, 4 speed manual was a slush box and the thing would not rev past 2500 rpm for some reason. I think the distributor (carbed motor) was locked out or mechanicaly frozen. That truck turned me off of looking for a while. If tte VW falls through, I got a 82 Mazda B2000/Ford Courier like in the wings. Still a simple carbed 4 banger, should be reliable enough and EZ to limp home with a carb, if only itll pass smog. Good garage is selling it with lot of new parts, ie. front end, water pump, T-chain, tires. Ill let you guys know. Should be good for a few laughs whatever I decide to get. The courier looking truck is a dark silver with 15" shiny black stamped steel rims, chrome lug nuts and whitewall tires. looks like a rat-rod

Billies was an 89. Not a single one of those issues with his

Late model Mazda trucks are rebadged Fords. First time an American truck was rebadged as an import.

Dodge (Dakota) and Mitsu followed suit as did Chevy and Izusu

Mitsubishi has a dakota variant????

The rangers are ok if you get the manual trans. You can't go wrong with an early Dakota or s10. We put a 4.3 in my 87 an got 21hwy with a carb that was far too big. Of course the Toyota will be king of the crop for reliability and economy
Yup you cant go worng with a 80s dime . I did like helping putting that thing togather lol Heres a pic of the s 10 and my dakota togather to help the OP on what one he wants if ether lol :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_1511.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 115
I feel for you guys that have to pass smog. That and the high taxes, high real estate...
Don't know how you do it.

-
Back