Beer, Who's brewing their own?

-

MVRCorp

Reaction score
I've been into wine making for a few years now and want to get into brewing some beer now so I'm looking for some advice on what equipment to start with. I'd like to start out with about 5 gallons per month. Also if any of you guy have some good recipes I'm all ears.

Jim

Me! There is a good starter kit from a company called midwest brewing. You get pretty much everything you need to start. I would start with a brew kit with malt extract first. You will need a kettle also, a wort chiller comes in very handy, you can make one yourself too. I go to a local shop in Madison Wisconsin for my stuff now. Also get the book "How to Brew"... it has a ton of great info.... and don't forget the golden rule, the only way to start a home brew is to HAVE a home brew :)

Kit should have

Capper
2 Carboys
Brushes
2 Pales
Siphon

And some extras. I would suggest a bottle washer also

Me! There is a good starter kit from a company called midwest brewing. You get pretty much everything you need to start. I would start with a brew kit with malt extract first. You will need a kettle also, a wort chiller comes in very handy, you can make one yourself too. I go to a local shop in Madison Wisconsin for my stuff now. Also get the book "How to Brew"... it has a ton of great info.... and don't forget the golden rule, the only way to start a home brew is to HAVE a home brew :)

Kit should have

Capper
2 Carboys
Brushes
2 Pales

And some extras. I would suggest a bottle washer also

Kit ordered and I also have this on the way

Hank's Hefeweizen w/ White Labs Hefeweizen Ale 300

I bought the good yeast too.
Thanks, Jim

Kit ordered and I also have this on the way

Hank's Hefeweizen w/ White Labs Hefeweizen Ale 300

I bought the good yeast too.
Thanks, Jim

Where did your order from? Good on the yeast, I forgot they usually offer two different kinds. You want the one in the bag if possible, it's best to find a local place that keeps them refrigerated also. When you get the back of liquid yeast you just smack it when ready to activate then add it to the wort. Also a gas stove is the best for heating. Some kits suggest that you boil 4ish gallons, and you will have a very hard time getting that much to boil. I usually do a smaller amount and add more cool water after the boil. Remember to sanitize everything very good, and also after the boil you want to cool it as quick as possible. This eliminates the chance of a bacterial growth. This is where a wort chiller comes in handy.

best brew i ever made was sort of an accident..
my recipe called for 5lb. dark hops but the supplier i use only had three, so i bought 3lb. dark and 3lb. light to make the 5 lb. called for in the recipe. followed the recipe normally for everything else.
best beer i ever had! i'll se if i can find the recipe, its been a while since i made any. -pauly

If you can do a 6-6.5 gal boil,takes awhile to get a rolling boil you should end up with about 5 gal of wort,with a full boil you make better use of your hops.If using a turkey fryer cut it off when adding extract unless you are a grain brewer.Extract may scorch untill stirred in.Have one for me! Greg

Checking back in. I made a few batches over the summer and love it. Cancelled the wort chiller as I found that 16#s of ice (2 gallons of water) cools the wort down to the correct temp. I have another batch of Hefenwiezer close to bottling and just got my next two kits, a Happy Holidays Ale and an Apple Ale, both from Midwest. The only thing on my Xmas list is this

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/dual-double-cornelius-keg-system.html

I'm tired of washing bottles and capping this stuff.

Cheers

-
Back