BELT SLAP!!! Anyone else with this problem?

-

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
Aloha! 1966 barracuda 273 with a federal power steering pump.

The belt at higher RPM slaps the fan pulley. Leaving a nice wear mark on my newly painted pulley!!!!! GREAT! blaaaaa. :wack: The belt is tight...as a matter of fact I even went and got a smaller belt to see if I could reduce the slap. Still does it.

Anyone ever encounter this? It never did this before until I restored the engine. The only parts that are different is I put a Milodon water pump and it appears the same to be the same setup.

Basically it's a stock configuration.

Mahalo!!!

Might be harmonic vibration. I had one HECK of a time with this with a hang--on A/C setup once, and finally, after repositioning the idler and changing the length of the belt I got it to stop

I'd start by CAREFULLY inspecting the pulleys for any damage, nicks, bends, or even debri

Then try a different belt, a little narrower, a little wider, a little longer, shorter.

If you have the old belt and can exactly replace it (part no, brand, etc) try that.

Mahalo 67! You may be on to something with the harmonic.

All the pulleys are clean no nicks or bends. One thing I didn't mention is i can see the pulley on the pump actually move in and out when the RPM's increase. like the pump is physically moving back and forth (front to back) but not the brackets moving just the pump. I'm replacing the pump anyways...so I'll see if that was the culprit.

strange though...

ABODYBOMBER~ Looks like I did...swapped out the pump. no real issues. still need to bleed it completely I think... a little stiff. Hoping more driving will loosen it out.

I'm think the first pump was bad from the get go. (Rebuilt by NAPA) I noticed the flow control valve was on the opposite side of the new pump I installed. I would think it would be built only one way.

View attachment Screen Shot 2012-09-29 at 6.41.28 PM.jpg

The metering pin fell out when I took it out of the reservoir. something clearly wasn't right.

oh the BIG fun???...the PRESSURE HOSE blew in TWO tooling down the road PS fluid all over the headers...thought my engine BLEW!!! 35 miles on the new engine smoke everywhere...had to use Frebreeze in the cuda!!! (cuz of my shorts!)

here it is...looks wrong to me...

Attachments

• photo-9.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 149
Happy you got 'er fixed. I hate those kind of problems

-
Back