bench test dash cluster guages

-

djais1801

Reaction score
is there a way to bench test the gauges to see if they work prior to installing? or do i just have to plug in and see? non-rallye dash in my 72 Demon

Well I've used batteries. The gauges, outside of the amp gauge, operate on about 5 volts. You can take some AA batteries and use them to check deflection. Each battery is 1.5 volts. One battery will give about 1/3 scale on the gauge, 2 will give about 2/3 and three which is 4.5 volts should give close to full scale. But this just checks the integrity of the windings in the gauge. I just tape the batteries in series and run a negative connection to the ground or sender side of the gauge and positive to the input side of the gauage. I just leave them connected long enough to check the deflection.

For what its worth... Current generates heat which causes a bimetal beam to bow. This is what moves the needle. With polarity connected reverse the bimetal will still bow the same direction.
So with a gauge at the work bench you really don't need to define which post is which to test.

You need a 5vdc supply and an 11 ohm resistor in series with the gauge you're testing. You should get full deflection if the gauge is working correctly.

-
Back