Bent Crankshaft Pulley

-

Mr Gorsky

I know words, I have the best words...
Reaction score
When I purchased my Demon I changed all the usual stuff to make the car reliable...filters, belts, hoses, fluids, etc.

Still, the car seemed to have a squeaky belt every now and then....no matter how hard I tightened them. Tried "Belt Grip" to no avail. My small block has one belt that runs a single pulley alternator, and a second belt to drive the water pump and power steering. I have a three belt crankshaft pulley (one remains unused due to the single pulley alternator).

Well, I found the cause of my issue.....the alternator pulley is off-center! Been that way since 1972, I guess! No obvious damage due to having been dropped, it was just poorly manufactured.

Spotted the problem by revving the engine whilst watching the belts. The belt in question was whipping a full half inch, midway between the crank and alternator. The water pump belt remained rock steady.

Changed the pulley out, problem solved :).

Pics below detail the issue pretty clearly. The pics are of the same defective pulley taken 180 degrees apart.....check your car, you might have the same problem :eek::

pulleybent1.jpg

pulleybent2.jpg

Sure looks like it's hit the ground a time or two. Or someone pried on a belt with a screwdriver. That outer pulley is pretty chewed up and the intermediate pulley has a decent dent. Doubt that was Mopars fault.

No no no no.....

The light paint damage on the outer pulley is normal wear and tear. Forty years of use will leave a few scars.

Besides, I fished this pulley out of the workshop bin when I decided to do this thread! Might not have been Ma Mopars fault......coulda been the Cincinnati Pulley Co :).

I said in the thread title that the pulley was bent. It isn't.....it's welded off-center. However, calling this the "Welded Off-Center Crankshaft Pulley" thread might put some people to sleep :).

I don't have the only "welded off-center" pulley out there....

Hard to tell. I have the same issue with a water pump pulley. **** ain't cheap for a pulley either. Mine was likely from abuse lol

-
Back