bent pushrods big block

-

MoparAGoGo

Reaction score
i recently got my satellite running. 400 auto basically stock rebuild but with a crower .480 cam. i drove it twice and it was fine. i backed it in the garage and shut it off. the next morning i tried to start it. it just cranked and made a pinging noise. when it finally started it was real rough. so i did some checking. pulled the covers and discovered 3 bent intake pushrods. #s 3,4,5. it started fine in the garage every time. moved it around. actually drove it for 1/2 hour + twice, stopped and got gas, and it was perfect. and now this.. any ideas?

Valves hitting pistons
Coil bind
Rockers hitting retainers
Timing chain problems
Valve seal step hitting retainer at full lift
Hydraulic lifter problems

I put my money on retainers hitting valve guides.

all of those could be possible of a motor that was just running. probably put 50 miles on it in 2 days. park it and then...

Stock springs for a .480 lift cam?

Though I do still have some checking to do, I am going to guess that inferior oil has worn my cam. I did add ZDDP to it, but perhaps it was not enough.
I have been reading articles on the crappy modern oils and flat tappet cams. it is not looking good.. tonight I will pull it apart and see....

That would suck, but I don't see the connection between bent pushrods and a worn cam/lifters.

Well. I pulled 2 of the 3 lifers of the bent pushrods. They look fine. So... i guess i am on to a leakdown test for tomorrow. A buddy gave me another set of pushrods and rocker arm assemblies off of a 40k mile 400.. nice and tight.
A quick visual inspection. Nothing out of the ordinary. With the exception of some slop in the rockers. And maybe a few of the the lifters needed to be pumped up. (I did have it running with 2 of the lifters popped out)

You certainly need to check the springs for coil bind and look closely for retainer to guide interference while you're there.

stock pushrods? I as because i went with 3/8 push rods and noticed that a few of mine were rubbing on the side of the head almost enough to deflect them. Have you checked them all where they pass though the head?

You hav a .480 lift cam on stock valve springs? That's your problem. If you don't rectify that you WILL have a wiped camshaft. Get a set of MP 3690933 springs or the Comp 911-16 springs. You have to match the springs with the camshaft.

-
Back