best AFR gauge setup

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
which would be the best choice on a stock car (360 2bbl rochester). no data logging/saving or even the gauge hooked up allowed in the race. digital or analog & what would be a good WOT power ratio number range to achieve. thank you for your time. RR

Auto Meter makes a stand-alone gauge. Most are driven by digital stepper motors because generally wide band 02 sensors are three wire and use a 5v reference voltage.
WOT you want 12.5-13:1. Some will say 11:1 to be safe but IMO that’s just wasting fuel. Any higher than 13:1 is not enough fuel in the mixture to make power.

I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there, just stay away from the cheaper ones.
I have an AEM guage in my car and it was a pretty close match to the dyno AFR readout.
As mentioned you will be looking around 12.5:1 at WOT for gasoline but different fuels will require a different AFR for best power. My hemi six made a couple more HP at 12:1 than 12.5:1 but it was small enough that it could have been inconsistencies between runs.

None. Go with your lap times and spark plug readings. Spark plugs will also reveal if there's light detonation.
The engine may make best power anywhere from high 11s to mid 13s depending on the engine and the load.
Seriously, I think your driving in too transient of situation even at a T&T.
Even with logging its really difficult to make good use of the data from a road race. I don't see a roundy round being much different

B28B7164-15F7-4FBA-B4F2-8CEFB4331BEF.jpeg
So I like the Innovate motorsports gauge, because you can daisy chain one of their SSDI 4 channel interfaces with the gauge. I wanted to data log, but don’t have $5000 for Racepak. I wanted to be able to log rpm, drive shaft rpm,AFR,throttle position. Which still leaves one more channel I can use for some other data. Total cost $650. $250 for AFR gauge, $100 for the SSDI 4 channel interface. $120 for 8 magnet split collar. $25 for Cherry Hall effect sensor. $80 for their pocket logger. $25 for a 2003 Nissan 350Z throttle position sensor. I do have MSD. 6AL to pull engine rpm off of that goes directly to the SSDI interface. The software is not as user friendly as Racepak, but it will do a bunch. It does NOT have the processor speed to do shock data, but honestly most systems don’t without a serious upgrade. The only crappy graph picture I have. Oopps just saw you can’t log, never mind

8F872CC1-5F3A-4EC2-9018-9CA9C8587DAE.jpeg

93FB5BE3-59FE-496E-B82F-5CA39FA3F3C0.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 1715888204 So I like the Innovate motorsports gauge, because you can daisy chain one of their SSDI 4 channel interfaces with the gauge. I wanted to data log, but don’t have $5000 for Racepak. I wanted to be able to log rpm, drive shaft rpm,AFR,throttle position. Which still leaves one more channel I can use for some other data. Total cost $650. $250 for AFR gauge, $100 for the SSDI 4 channel interface. $120 for 8 magnet split collar. $25 for Cherry Hall effect sensor. $80 for their pocket logger. $25 for a 2003 Nissan 350Z throttle position sensor. I do have MSD. 6AL to pull engine rpm off of that goes directly to the SSDI interface. The software is not as user friendly as Racepak, but it will do a bunch. It does NOT have the processor speed to do shock data, but honestly most systems don’t without a serious upgrade. The only crappy graph picture I have.

View attachment 1715888205

View attachment 1715888206
Nice setup.
I was using the LM1 + Auxbox. The only advantage is the built in MAP. Your arrangement with the SSI and pocket logger is more compact I think. Plus you can always add a MAP sensor if you wanted.

For screen shots, I use IrfanView. That's a shareware which can donate to if you want. Some of the batch processes take a little time to figure out (things like renaming a bunch of images or adding a watermark or name to the image). But the Viewer is pretty simple and had a convenient 'paint' for marking up and drawing on the images. Screen capture simply hit keyboard 'C' Give it a name and save.

That's what I used to capture the logworks screens shown here:
100 cfm more with anular and downleg boosters can't beat AFR

My setup is secure enough to use at the drag strip and street but not for road course or autocross. At least I don't feel comfortable about it and that's what counts.

-
Back