Best Carb rebuild kit

-

tbr1806

Reaction score
I'm going to need to clean and do a carb rebuild kit soon, looking to see what you guys are using for a "complete" kit for the original 1bbl carbs on the /6. thanks for any advice!

Always had good luck with NAPA. Holley carbs always seem to like holley kits.

Mike's Carbs seems to be a pretty good source. Also, Sorensen kits are decent; you may find them at Autozone. Those are pretty much to 2 sources I would ook at for the /6, unless you can find an old Tomco kit.

Thanks guys, I will check these places out. I will have to see if I can find numbers on my carb when I get home.

Thanks guys, I will check these places out. I will have to see if I can find numbers on my carb when I get home.
'Specially if it is a Holley... the kits go by what is called the 'list number'. Read up on where to find that number if it is a Holley.

^^^^ Mike's Carb parts. The instructions and his how-to videos helped me through my first carb rebuild, and the stuff he has is good quality. Customer service (which is just him and another gal I think) was great if you had a problem too.

Well, here we go....I got to looking at my carb tonight and noticed that there isn't much info on it. I have done a Google search and my carb has come up in a few different threads on several forums but noone seems to have a straight answer. The #'s I Googled are in the first picture. Can anyone give me any information? Would I be better off finding a different carb? It also appears so of the hardware for the step cam is missing and it's just kind of jumping around. That could be the cold start issue I'm having.

View attachment IMG_20151221_203704535.jpg

View attachment IMG_20151221_210632713.jpg

View attachment IMG_20151221_210649064.jpg

View attachment IMG_20151221_210640785.jpg

Did you click the link I provided? They an answer every question you have about that carburetor.

Did you click the link I provided? They an answer every question you have about that carburetor.

Yes, and I can't seem to match any of the number from my carb to the site.

ETA: I found the 7019 on "Mike's carb parts" site. I guess this is a holley 1945 after all.

Did you call them? I swear. You can lead a horse to water.....damn.

You will not find anything much off those numbers, because they are not the "carburetor" numbers. The original carburetor numbers were on a little metal tag that is now gone. That's why I posted that link. Daytona Carburetor is slap the BEST in the business. They can tell you what you have and sell you anything you need based on those numbers, but you have to do like we did in the olden days and use a phone.

GP Sorensen worked for me, came with a few cardboard gauges and 2 different accelerator pumps even though it was for my app, maybe the 1920 had 2 pump revisions.
Those 'numbers' on the carb are casting numbers. same bowl for 45 different apps.

Certainly not a Holley 1920, nor Carter BBS, so must be a Holley 1945 & looks like one (I never had one). You can find a manual on-line I recall. The "list#" is usually on the air horn at the top. The step cam is normally a bit "loose". I don't see any obvious parts missing. I think many had the open cavities at the top. Later, they added a plate w/ a hose to a charcoal cannister, perhaps for CA cars only in 1974.

Check that the choke pull-off's diaphragm isn't torn. That is the part at the bottom, left or your 3rd photo. Use a hand vac pump or just push it in and block port w/ your finger and see if it holds in.

I called Daytona this morning and I'm waiting for a call back after sending them some pictures. They have 2 kits that it could be so they need to figure out which one it will be. They are very helpful, thanks rustyratrod.

After some research I also see I am missing the dashpot and bracket for my carb, does anyone have an idea on where to get replacements? I will ask daytona when they call back but I didn't realize it was missing until after I got off the phone with them.

I assume you mean the choke pull-off? If Daytona can't help, call Mike's and see if they will get more into stock soon. They have them listed but out of stock.

I assume you mean the choke pull-off? If Daytona can't help, call Mike's and see if they will get more into stock soon. They have them listed but out of stock.

I have a m/t model, I meant the dashpot not the choke pull off. I guess the dash pot isn't really that important from what I hear.

I called Daytona this morning and I'm waiting for a call back after sending them some pictures. They have 2 kits that it could be so they need to figure out which one it will be. They are very helpful, thanks rustyratrod.

After some research I also see I am missing the dashpot and bracket for my carb, does anyone have an idea on where to get replacements? I will ask daytona when they call back but I didn't realize it was missing until after I got off the phone with them.

Yes sir. Glad you did that. They are the best. You can thank slantsixdan, because he turned me on to them. Dan really knows his stuff and Daytona theirs. Good luck.

Yes sir. Glad you did that. They are the best. You can thank slantsixdan, because he turned me on to them. Dan really knows his stuff and Daytona theirs. Good luck.

I heard back from them yesterday afternoon and they got me everything I needed. Great people to deal with, I will definitely be working with them in the future.

Hopefully this will help people in the future:

It is a Holley 1945 #7019 the 1st set of numbers (6R 4573 B) are casting #'s I believe, the 2nd set is a Chrysler part # and the 3rd set (7019) is holley's carb number, 4th number..not sure

attachment.php

I love it when a plan comes together.

x10 Mikes Carb. He has all the kits, and answers emails. You can also call them. Sometimes you get Mike, sometimes you get one of his minions.

I have one more question, what do you guys soak your carb in? I have never had one this bad! It had been sitting for quiet some time and is in really rough shape, I can't believe it was even running! I usually can get away with a brass brush and some carb cleaner in a can, this one will need to be soaked for a few days.

-
Back