Best place for Temp gauge sensor

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
I'm about to install a temp. sensor gauge on the 727 in my bracket car.
Where would be the best location to install the sensor?
In the pan somewhere?
In the cooler line? Which line, the front one or the back one?
Up by the trans cooler on the radiator?

Get ready for 47 and a half suggestions, lol. I don't race mine yet, but I put mine in the return line so I know the cooler is doing it's job.

I have mine as close to the trans as possible. it is on the front output of the trans. this tells you what temp the fluid is at coming out of the trans. it is also where the directions tell you to put it.

I have mine as close to the trans as possible. it is on the front output of the trans. this tells you what temp the fluid is at coming out of the trans. it is also where the directions tell you to put it.

Mine didn't have any.

Lol my auto meter gauge had em.

Maybe call a reputable performance trans shop. Cope, a&a, etc.

After scouring several forums, the majority of responses were to put it in the return line so you know that your cooler is working effectively. Not cooling enough, cooling too much.

We know the fluid coming out is going to be warmer.

I also struggled with "where to put the sender"?? In the end I figured that I needed to know the temperature at which my transmission fluid is running. Transmission fluid longevity is greatly dependent on how hot it gets (not how cold it gets). Transmission fluid should be changed on a schedule based on how hard you run the transmission (towing, distance driven, driving in mountains, racing, etc) AND, more importantly, how hot the fluid gets during use. Based on this criteria I mounted the sender in the pan so that I would know how hot my fluid was actually getting during use. If you put the sensor in the return line you'll never know how often to change your fluid because there's no way you can determine how hot your fluid is running. Of course you could also put it in the outgoing line??
At least that was my train of thought. Since I installed my new transmission and temp gauge over a year ago the trans fluid hasn't gone over 180 no matter how I shift or how long I drive. It's synthetic fluid so it should last a very long time at that temperature!!

Just go here and pick your chart!! But remember, synthetic fluid can handle the heat better so it would last even longer than the charts that show longevity for regular fluid.......

https://www.google.com/search?q=tra...X&ved=0CD8QsARqFQoTCI-q7uv5sMgCFRediAodfL0NWQ

treblig

I run mine in the pan. Derale pan comes with a fitting for the sending units...

No question, in the pan. Its going to tell you the most valuable information of current operating temp for the sump which feeds the converter and the clutches.

No question, in the pan. Its going to tell you the most valuable information of current operating temp for the sump which feeds the converter and the clutches.
Spot on, of course it's the pan. You want to know the temp after the oil has been recycled and is ready to enter the pressure system again. In my opinion, checking the oil in the line after the cooler is a mistake, Why you ask? because not all of the oil going around the trans runs through the cooler, some of it is dumped directly back into the pan from the valvebody, clutch packs (cooling them) and bearings. I think your going to detect a heat rise sooner in the pan than a cooler line.

Spot on, of course it's the pan. You want to know the temp after the oil has been recycled and is ready to enter the pressure system again. In my opinion, checking the oil in the line after the cooler is a mistake, Why you ask? because not all of the oil going around the trans runs through the cooler, some of it is dumped directly back into the pan from the valvebody, clutch packs (cooling them) and bearings. I think your going to detect a heat rise sooner in the pan than a cooler line.
Well, that's what A&A said: put it in the rear of the pan, so that's where it will go. Thanks all!

-
Back