Best Reason to Hot Rod Mopar Instead of Restore...

-
There is no such thing as rare, numbers matching, or all original to me. Ive never seen an all original car of any kind that wouldn't look better modified. I don't care if a car is one of only five cars painted a certain color or the only one in existence with a certain stripe or engine. To me, worth no more than the other 100,000 cars just like it with different options...

thats great. but there is a huge following of all original cars. and those willing to pay stupid money for those cars and the parts needed to make them basically garage art. they are in to what they are in to. you and i are in to what we are in to what's the big deal.

what i do know if you would have to be an idiot to take a 1 of 1 hemi or 6bbl car and do modifications that require you to cut it up. someone would be way ahead by selling that rare car and using that money to buy a cheaper maybe cleaner slant 6 or 318 car to modify. you would be able to get the car and a bunch of parts for what you sold the rare care for. :)

most cars are NOT and NEVER should have been viewed as investments.

restoration work is fun and even rewarding if you do the work yourself, but do it because you love the car, not because you want to retire on it one day.

personally, because i can't afford to do the restoration i would want to do, i am default in the hot-rod bucket.

There is no such thing as rare, numbers matching, or all original to me. Ive never seen an all original car of any kind that wouldn't look better modified. I don't care if a car is one of only five cars painted a certain color or the only one in existence with a certain stripe or engine. To me, worth no more than the other 100,000 cars just like it with different options...

i have a rare em3 pink duster 1 of 134 built numbermatching but i am doing it my way 4 speed stoker motor hood scoops 71 wing sharktooth grille thats the way i want it we live only once you have to enjoyed them

I have an original 69 383-s fastback that I have had for 25 years. I bought the car because I had a rebuilt 440+6 and it was an easy swap.

I made the decision early on to "preserve" it. I never thought I was restoring it. I just wanted it too last and be fun to drive for many years. I found good quality used parts and made it look good, but not a trailer queen.

I do like a stock car and have fallen for the F.A.S.T. cars. But these are out of my price range. They're certain cars that should be restored to 100% original. It's a way of preserving history. But I like building a car to my tastes. 6 months after buying my Coronet off the original owner I was pulling the original motor for a 440. It all boils down to what you want and can AFFORD!!

I wasn't trying to wind anyone up and since there is zero chance I'll ever be in the investment car world I guess it doesn't really matter as I will never be in the position to cut up that rare 1 of 1 hemi car. I think anyone that would give 5k for an exhaust manifold has a screw loose but maybe that makes the car worth 15k more to some people. I believe in each to his own and I'm glad we all have the right to modify cars as we see fit. I will admit that I like to see rare cars once in a while as it's kinda neat but will never understand the crazy money involved. Common or rare it's all about having fun with what you like and as said can afford:)

Sold a license plate light cover for a 70-74 barracuda. I bought it and never used it. Started selling some of my stuff off and put on eBay.

I was hoping for $10, it sold for $81 plus shipping

I thought stupid money

Building a rare car to resell at BJ or Mecum auction correct parts and look bring the BIG MONEY

But 5 grand for one exhaust manifold is really stupid, but how many of them are there?

I can see 100% restore of 6 pack and Hemi cars, just cause there value. My uncle just bought a solid but 80's ized super bee but found out its a orginal 6 pack car but nothing is original on it so it would cost as much or more then it's worth. I'd just drive it and enjoy it and one sell it to someone that would put it back to orginal. My 65 cuda was 100% stock when I got it but it's definitely not staying that way.

Apparently several people bidding on it don't find the price unfair.
Your comparing concours numbers correct cars to your daily drivers,
which is most of the car owners on here.

If it were mine, I'd be tickled to death to get that much out of it,
In fact if I had this part on my car and I thought I could get that kind
of money for it...... you can call me flippo from here on out.
I could buy a whole lot of new parts for that kind of bread.

I’ve owned my car since I was 15 and in the late 70’s early 80’s we made our cars the way we wanted them and I didn’t know anything about rare or collectable cars so that didn’t enter my thinking. It didn’t stop the previous owners or me from making it our own. Until I stumbled on to FABO I knew nothing about the Canadian 340 Specials so when I finally got around to it I probably would have just fixed some of the 80’s stuff and done a restomod but I think some cars probably should be put back to original which is the plan. I don’t ever plan on selling it and I’m ultimately just the care taker for it and some day another person will be the car taker but until then drive em and enjoy em any way you like.

My 70 Duster 340 was rodded a fair bit when I got it, one prior owner made it a street/strip kind of deal with a nice stout 360. The guy I got it from was going more towards a protouring look. It isn't numbers matching, not even close so I am just going to continue the process. I want a solid, fast, decent looking driver and that's what it will be when I am done. It will have some factory looking bits (stripes, exhaust tips etc) but where it counts, it'll be more a hot rod. Hope to one day drop an MRL 408 Stroker in it but the 360 does the job for now.

Steve

i need to add to this again. as one of the post said, he "didnt want to wind people up" but the way i see it, is this is good reading and it gives people a chance to see other peoples opinion. Another thing i look at is when these cars were a dime a dozen, and doing demolition derbys and stock car racing sense high school (1973), ive distroyed more clasic cars then i can even remember, but i know i went through 2, 1964 GTOs, 1 each 65, 66 and 67 GTO, a 69 coronet, 60 plymouth wagon, countless chevells, camaros and monte carlos, and at the time, it was nothing. had i known what was going to happen, i would have just stashed them all. now i traded a 67 firebird convertable 400 4 speed, which was about 1 of 300 made, for an old beat up car trailer. 4 years ago i gave away a 66 plymouth fury 3, 2 door all original runner with no rust and very few door dings.
You dont even know what grief im going through now remembering them and wishing i had them now, not for the money there worth, but what they would be worth to me mentally.

i need to add to this again. as one of the post said, he "didnt want to wind people up" but the way i see it, is this is good reading and it gives people a chance to see other peoples opinion. Another thing i look at is when these cars were a dime a dozen, and doing demolition derbys and stock car racing sense high school (1973), ive distroyed more clasic cars then i can even remember, but i know i went through 2, 1964 GTOs, 1 each 65, 66 and 67 GTO, a 69 coronet, 60 plymouth wagon, countless chevells, camaros and monte carlos, and at the time, it was nothing. had i known what was going to happen, i would have just stashed them all. now i traded a 67 firebird convertable 400 4 speed, which was about 1 of 300 made, for an old beat up car trailer. 4 years ago i gave away a 66 plymouth fury 3, 2 door all original runner with no rust and very few door dings.
You dont even know what grief im going through now remembering them and wishing i had them now, not for the money there worth, but what they would be worth to me mentally.

Ya, a person tends to forget how many of those cars were turned into circle burners. There's a guy in the town I live in that is in the process of turning a '68 fastback Barracuda into another dirt track car. But in his case the car was pretty badly roached out and he did sell all of the salvageable parts off it. The only other practical option for this one would have been scrap metal. So at least it will be able to go out fighting.

Yolo.
that being said, I'm hanging onto the 225 that was originally in the car in the hopes that one day I can easily swap between the 360 in there it. the reason I want to swap between them it's simple, I want a rumbling muscle car and a turbo six. I've been reading up on these turbo swaps and for some reason it appeals to me in a strange way. I don't know how many of you watch roadkill on motortrend's YouTube channel, but their most recent episode involved putting a 7.3 diesel turbo on a Chevy 4.3 in a 71 Datsun 240z. I've been wanting to do something like that for a few years ( but with an rb26 instead) and I already got a six, so why not do something crazy with it and involve the cuda in the shenanigans?

Good to see this thread, it seems the majority of the folks on this site have a boner against hot-rodding. Purist issues all day long. It ain't the 70's anymore; there is comparable and/or better technology for cheaper, and they are expensive to 'restore' and run. Cars are meant to be driven.

Everyone has their own opinion and I usually don't care about them. I like hot rodding and just going fast in general. No interest in restoring high dollar cars. That being said I am one of the guys who doesn't like mixing breads..I know that is considered hot rodding by many but I just dislike certain brands lol. To each his own. I'm not the one spending 5000 on a exhaust manifold!

back in the day, the 60's and 70's, it was called day 2 approach. first add set of mags, and then maybe add a few shiny things under the hood! kids workd odd jobs for the money to buy these things with, or maybe had rich parents to give it to them, but some acquired a bond between them and their car, others cared less and tore it up as quickly as possible. i was lucky to be driver age back in the mid and late 60's and see it all first hand. great fun to loadup and go to watch the match races at the strip. SOooo how many kids can ya cram into the trunk of a 68 roadrunner!!????LOL
those lucky enough to have a "musclecar" or anything that would run hard enough to get out of its own way, they would go out to edge of town and run um, for the fun of it!
we all find our passion where it lies. i know some people that their passion is restoring the max wedge. sometimes its original, sometimes a copy, but these guys eat and sleep the maxie stuff. they love it, they buy and sell those costly intakes and exh maniforls, and trade or sell some cars usually among themselves. profit? most of them,,, it s a hobby, they can afford it but see no chance of a profit!! i love to see their handiwork and see them run. more power to them if they can afford it, i can't but don't begrudge them. they love their hobby!
hopefully we all find fun in our hobby. if our economy and the old car hobby was stronger, perhaps we would be able to recoup some of the $$ we put in a car we decide to sell for what ever reason, but like they say its a hobby and thinkin a profit lies out their in puttin together a project, just not realistic.
i get real tired and being screwed over by the local parts store so i order all i can off internet sires like rock auto. i've bought and sold parts at swaps for years, so i understand how work it can be to find and pull parts. i just use my judgement as to what i feel is fair or how much i want that part.
you can tell a true old car entrusiasists, look at the big wide grin of his face as he drices down the road!!!! LOL

Saw an nos hemi 'cuda fender sell for $5000.00.
Best reason to do anything is because you want to!

-
Back